resisting to walk, happy lying down Pyncheon pullet

well if they are laying I would say they have all been exposed and have a resistence to it. and you should not have any problems.

In the future with new chicks you maydeside to vaccinate for it now that you think you might have it, although is sounds like the strain you have is not ver strong (trust me there are ifferent strengths and having one just a little paralized but still eating and now getting better probably means the strain you have is not too bad) If you do vaccinate find a place where the chicks can be brooded in complete isolation for the first 10 days from anything (cloths, dust, ect) that might have traces of Mareks on it.

Good Luck so happy to hear she is improving
smile.png
Moody Chicken is awesome
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses. This morning she is looking as if she really wants to get up and walk, but is hesitant. I made her a hard boiled egg and she devoured it, plus she redily accepts her medicated drink! Although I am not positive it was Mareks, I am glad she is a fighter. I am not sure if you had read my earlier posts on her, but it seemed to start a month after I had given her tylan injections in her thighs because she was so emaciated when I got her. I was giving her the tylan because she had a bad respiratory infection, then that cleared up with the tylan in about a week and 3 weeks later the lameness set in.

it may have never been Mareks, you might wnt to make a sling or a brace of sorts to help her learn to walk again and get used to putting pressure back on her feet. mamanaturale made me one although it was a restraint as well keeping the wings tucked in you might want to contact her and see if you can get one or a pattern. I have also made them with bowling ball slings (Amazon sells them) and old t-shirts. I have used them while dealing with Mareks as well as plain old leg injuries wher the bird needed added support. it takes a while to rig it all just right but is worth it. Do a search for chicken slings and some pice should turn up as Speckledhen made a great one (it was her who had the bowling ball bag idea).

I found as long as they have a good appatite and good poops that a chook can almost always recover. I had a silkie with really bad head trauma, could not stand, walk, but it would always eat. Took over 3 months (2 of which he was in a sling of some sort) but he got better and is now a proud Daddy and head of a flock of 5 hens
smile.png

Quote:
I hope this gal makes it, she is so sweet and when she could walk would follow me around my studio like a puppy and loved to sit on my lap! I have a friend that has made "chicken chairs" in the past for weak, or chickens with leg problems and I will ask her to help me make one for this hen. Thank you so much for the help and understanding in trying to save one chicken.

Well, today she is standing for longer periods of time, although a bit wobbly, she is trying like heck! I will keep you posted. I think the st. jons wart is doing the trick, just hope that after the treatment stops she doesnt revert!

I have been meaning to post this for some time. Just when I was about to give up and ask my BIL to cull her for me, I figured I would try the Homeopathic St. Johns Wart treatment I saw on here, Let me say, You would never know that this hen had a problem! For the past month now (approx), she is up and about, though still a picky eater! I am so thankful for this forum because it has just about anything you need to find on it. It took a little research and trial and error, but i felt I could not give up on her. I think the reason for her lameness and "paralasys" was related to the shots of Tylan I had given her in the thigh. I do not think Mareks was in the equation here because she had no of the other symptoms I saw listed anywhere. But whatever it was, she islike a new bird and I do still have her in her isolation tub in the same room with all my other birds (who have not gotten ill at all) and in another week or so, i will put her with some other hens to keep her company. Thanx BYC for the help!

Back
Top Bottom