*resolved* Thanks everyone!

I have had a heat bulb running non-stop since Feb. and Its been fine. You just need to make sure that it's secure and cannot fall. Have him read the posts in this thread -- maybe he'll come to his senses.

I seriously doubt that he would have built me this rather large coop and run and forked over all the $ not wanting chickens the entire time, only to use a $15 heat lamp as his ultimate weapon in his master plan to keep me from getting chickens...

He is just being overly protective of his families safety. Yes, rather stupidly, but still.

This leaves me with only one option if I am understanding this correctly? The ecoglow is the ONLY thing I can use instead of a heat lamp?

Last edited:
Depending on where you are you can get away with NOT using a heat bulb. Will he leave a lamp on in the house? No difference. We have been warm, so all I have been using is an amber 60 watt bug light and it has been just fine. There are a lot of good suggestions here..if he is still being difficult, this is about way more than a light.

Shikens! :

I seriously doubt that he would have built me this rather large coop and run and forked over all the $ not wanting chickens the entire time, only to use a $15 heat lamp as his ultimate weapon in his master plan to keep me from getting chickens...

He is just being overly protective of his families safety. Yes, rather stupidly, but still.

This leaves me with only option if I am understanding this correctly? The ecoglow is the ONLY thing I can use instead of a heat lamp?

It could be the straw that breaks the camel's back if he really didn't want the chickens. It seems kind of crazy to spend all this time and money setting up the coop and run to stop with a $70 item or a $15 safe bulb. No master plan, just human nature.

As the other poster said, other option is to buy older pullets.​

Quote:
You must be single... LOL you think I'm gonna let him read this thread that is solely made up of me and others talking about him? HAHAHAHAHA!
gig.gif

I say get rid of the hubby and keep the chicks
big_smile.png

i agree about the 100 watt regular bulbs in a clamp type dome- very sturdy. Also the feed and tractor stores always hike the price up , you can get a red heating bulb at walmart for almost half the price. also if i have to use a regular bulb, i put the brooder in the hottest part of the house like the laundry room , because at night it will be hard to maintain the temp - depending on where you live

Bummer about the stubborn hubby , Congrats on the new flock
Im sure with persistence he will come around ,
smack.gif
depends on just how "persistent" you want to get lol

The Ecoglow is a lot cheaper than separate beds.

thumbsup.gif

No, not single. If it were about my DH I'd have him read it ... Hopefully to realize how unreasonable he's being. After all, we're not talking about your SO but about the need for chicks to have heat.

Quote:
It could be the straw that breaks the camel's back if he really didn't want the chickens. It seems kind of crazy to spend all this time and money setting up the coop and run to stop with a $70 item or a $15 safe bulb. No master plan, just human nature.

As the other poster said, other option is to buy older pullets.

*sigh* I guess it looks that way from the outside. We are coming up on 8 years June 2nd. I know him very well and I can say for certain that yes, he is being a butt hole about this but his intentions are good ones.

Now it looks like I need to scour the globe for the cheapest price on an ecoglow!

Thanks everyone for your eh...help. LOL!

Last edited:
Shikens! :

I seriously doubt that he would have built me this rather large coop and run...

Assuming the coop and run is away from the house, will he let you use a heat lamp out there? You don't have to keep the chicks in the house. You could make the coop the brooder.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom