Respiratory Illness in broody’s and babies

ambe0487

Songster
Jul 6, 2015
Urbandale, IA
I have 13 babies (8 weeks) and 3 broody Mom’s that are exhibiting URI symptoms of sneezing, watery nostrils, a few are getting rattle in chest.

I originally attributed it to the huge swing in weather temp change (20 degrees difference) with exceptionally damp conditions that came on just over a week ago. I made a mixture of thyme, basil, oregano, garlic, cinnamon and mixed into waters daily for immune boost and put VetRx on comb/under wings for extra support. Unfortunately it has gotten worse and now I’m afraid I’m going to loose them.
I am starting nebulizing treatments with Oxine (non-activated) today but wondered if I could also put colloidal silver in there as well for a boost?

How much ventilation is in the housing where the broodies and chick are?

I don't know much about Colloidal Silver, so hopefully someone like @coach723 can help with that question.

Have you had problems in the past with respiratory illness?

One whole side of my coop is hardware cloth. It’s a large sized coop with really high ceilings/rafters. Here are a couple pictures.

I haven’t had any issues with respiratory in the 4 years I’ve had this flock.

Attachments

• 8ED12E15-75A0-4F9B-8A1E-2E6257968B69.jpeg
    8ED12E15-75A0-4F9B-8A1E-2E6257968B69.jpeg
    540.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 2CC8A87C-6E74-4384-8E01-9C244855CE75.jpeg
    2CC8A87C-6E74-4384-8E01-9C244855CE75.jpeg
    706.7 KB · Views: 16
I don't know if there would be any interaction with oxine, can't find any info on that. I know it is used in nebulizers for cystic fibrosis and lung cancer in humans, I've no idea what the dose would be.
Maybe @Hen Pen Jem will know more.

Greetings ambe0487 and coach723,

Wow, what a fantastic healing application for chickens!

I have never used oxine. Oxine is made up of metal ions. Colloidal Silver is nano particles. I have no idea if there could be an interaction or if one would interrupt the delivery of the other. :confused:

However, I have relayed this question to another member with a scientific background. If I get an answer I will certainly post it.

God Bless :)

Greetings ambe0487 ,

The member had expertise in biology and not chemistry. However, did suggest, not mixing the two substances.

Perhaps you could alternate the treatments, since you would have to administer treatment, at least three times a day, anyways.

Oxine has been used successfully in animal health, and in healing poultry with various lung infections.

Colloidal Silver is an excellent healing agent, as well, and has been used in nebulizers for lung infections in humans. In fact the next time I have a chicken with congested lungs, I will be setting up a crate for nebulizing!

Please do update us here on BYC, on your nebulizing treatment and whether it worked.

God Bless :)

Back
Top Bottom