Respiratory illness in entire flock!?

StephensonC

Songster
5 Years
Oct 14, 2014
Richmond, Va
I purchased a 1.5 yr old rooster back in July and kept him quarantined for 3 weeks before adding him to my flock. About 1 month ago he started shaking his head in an S motion, but had no other symptoms. I checked for mites and didn't see anything, but I treated the entire flock of 18 with permethrin anyway and cleaned and treated the coop and run area. I followed up in 8 days and repeated the treatments. He never stopped shaking his head and now the whole flock has a small amount of clear, thin sinus drainage. The rooster is also wheezing sometimes (not everytime) after he crows. He also had small amount of blood on his wattle a few weeks ago, which then a hen pecked at it until it tore a little. I don't know where that blood came from, but I haven't seen any blood since. I have been using Organic ACV in their water rotating with vitamins, electrolytes and probs. They are all very healthy birds. Eyes are clear, no facial swelling, inside of mouth is clear. There is no odor to the sinus drainage. All are very active, full of energy, eating and drinking great and their poop is normal with no visible worms. I have not added any new birds. The temps here have started to drop from being in the 70ish to 40ish at night. I have winterized the coop, but, with plenty of ventilation. I started them on oxytetracycline 2 days ago. They are all very flighty and hard to catch or I would use an injectable antibiotic. Is there anything else I need to check for? watch for? What respiratory illness could I possibly be dealing with? I have 2 more flocks with their own separate coops and runs. They are in other areas of the farm, and do not adjoin at all. Is there a chance of this illness spreading to my other flocks? I guess I would need to wear different shoes and such when going in and out of each coop and run? I would love to have your input. I've never had to deal with a respiratory illness before. Thanks in advance!

There are many kinds of respiratory diseases that chickens can get.. and it can be difficult to know without taking a bird into the vets to tests.

If there are no other symptoms, apart from rattily breathing, coughing, and a very slightly watery eyes, then it may be infectious bronchitis. This is caused by a virus.. so the only treatment you can give in supportive care.. like extra vitamins, stress free environment, and shelter / warmth. It will run its course and most birds usually recover fine.

However, they always carry the virus. And any new birds you put in will likely get it. I suspect that your birds already carry the virus.. and they passed it on to your new rooster.

Keep a close eye on them all,, and if any develop other symptoms, or get worse.. then perhaps it is some other illness...

There are many kinds of respiratory diseases that chickens can get.. and it can be difficult to know without taking a bird into the vets to tests.

If there are no other symptoms, apart from rattily breathing, coughing, and a very slightly watery eyes, then it may be infectious bronchitis. This is caused by a virus.. so the only treatment you can give in supportive care.. like extra vitamins, stress free environment, and shelter / warmth. It will run its course and most birds usually recover fine.

However, they always carry the virus. And any new birds you put in will likely get it. I suspect that your birds already carry the virus.. and they passed it on to your new rooster.

Keep a close eye on them all,, and if any develop other symptoms, or get worse.. then perhaps it is some other illness...
They aren't showing any rattily breathing, coughin or watery eyes. Just the rooster wheezing after he crows and some have clear thin sinus drainage. I did just notice a few have some runny poop. Could this be from the antibiotic?

Chronic respiratory diseases can be from bacteria and mycoplasmas, viruses , and from mold spores in the environment especially around wet bedding and coops with wet dirt flooring. The most common ones are infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG and MS,) coryza, infectious larygotracheitis (ILT,) and aspergillosis. There are others more rare and deadly. Runny droppings can be common with respiratory diseases, and from antibiotics. Probiotics such as Probios or Gro2Max are good to give, and some poultry vitamins also contain them as well. Tylan, oxytetracycline, and Gallimycin (erythromycin) are all given to combat either the disease or prevent secondary infections. Sometimes sick chickens won't drink enough of the medicated water, especially in cold weather. That's when giving Tylan 50 injectable may be better, as it can be given as an injection or orally to each bird. ILT can cause bloody mucus to be coughed up from the beak, gasping, and a lot of head shaking. Your state vet's office may be a good place to get information about diseases in your area, and how to get tested. Here is a good link to read on the common diseases and a list of state vets:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Back
Top Bottom