Respiratory Illness

Chick_Crazy

Chirping
Jan 22, 2022
Hello!

I have a hen who has been dealing with a respiratory issue for the past month. I have been applying VetRX to her throat basically everyday. She seemed like she was getting better, but today she isn't looking too good. She was walking slower than usual, her comb was flopped over a little bit, and she is breathing through her mouth. Not gasping, but you can tell she is having trouble. I never thought it was anything, because she has always had a raspy bawk. I think I saw her eat some food and she drank a lot this morning. So that's always good. But still, the breathing through the mouth scares me...none of my other hens have it, it's just her. Idk what to do. If you know anything, I would love the info! Thanks so much! 😁

Hello!

I have a hen who has been dealing with a respiratory issue for the past month. I have been applying VetRX to her throat basically everyday. She seemed like she was getting better, but today she isn't looking too good. She was walking slower than usual, her comb was flopped over a little bit, and she is breathing through her mouth. Not gasping, but you can tell she is having trouble. I never thought it was anything, because she has always had a raspy bawk. I think I saw her eat some food and she drank a lot this morning. So that's always good. But still, the breathing through the mouth scares me...none of my other hens have it, it's just her. Idk what to do. If you know anything, I would love the info! Thanks so much!
😁
Update: I got her to eat blueberries, and I put VetRX in her water, and I also added some garlic powder in there too. Her comb was purple at the tip this morning, which made me think she wasn't getting enough oxygen, henceforth why she was breathing through her mouth. But about 20 mins later, I checked on her, and she isn't breathing through her mouth, and her comb looks more red. She is still lethargic tho.. So, just a little update! 😁

Vetrx is like Vicks for us. It won't do much for her. Respiratory infections are usually super contagious and will spread through your flock like wildfire. Is she having any other symptoms?

Vetrx is like Vicks for us. It won't do much for her. Respiratory infections are usually super contagious and will spread through your flock like wildfire. Is she having any other symptoms?
No, no other symptoms. I've been monitoring her for coughing, sneezing, or runny nose. But other than the throat, she is typically fine. Today she just seems off. And idk if a mentioned it, but she has had this for about a month. Wouldn't the rest of my flock have it by now? Just curious! 😁

Can you post a picture of her? Does she have any bubbles in either eye? Have you looked into her beak and throat for mucus, yellow material, or anything unusual? Is there any mold around her coop and area? How is your coop ventilation? Does she lay eggs? Is her crop emptying by early morning? How does her belly between her legs look—any fuller than usual? It is hard to know what is going on without specific symptoms. Vet Rx has camphor and some herbal oils, but nothing that helps respiratory diseases.

Can you post a picture of her? Does she have any bubbles in either eye? Have you looked into her beak and throat for mucus, yellow material, or anything unusual? Is there any mold around her coop and area? How is your coop ventilation? Does she lay eggs? Is her crop emptying by early morning? How does her belly between her legs look—any fuller than usual? It is hard to know what is going on without specific symptoms. Vet Rx has camphor and some herbal oils, but nothing that helps respiratory diseases.
Alright. I will answer these questions in order! 😂
-No she does not have any bubbles in her eyes
-Yes I checked her throat. There was nothing abnormal about it. No yellow mucus.
-There could be mold, but I'm not totally sure. It's not in there roosting area, but it may be in there runway. We are currently in the process of building them a new coop, so I can move them out of that wet area.
-My coop ventilation could be better. Another reason why we are building a new coop. The coop we started with was crap, but at the time I didn't know any better. Finally I am realizing how important it is to keep air flowing through the coop.
-Right now, she has been laying soft shelled eggs basically everyday. I just made a post on here last week about it. (Yesterday she layed a large hard shell🥳) I am giving her egg shell calcium on top of some fermented food. She gets a private breakfast a couple times during the week.😊
-Her crop felt a little full today. But I'm not sure about every morning.
-And I'm not sure about the belly, I will have to look and get back to you.

Update: Went out to check on her about an hour later, and she was walking around fine! She started bawking at me, and even ate half of a banana! Her comb is back to normal, and I let her out because I think it's about the time of day when she lays her egg! Going to monitor it, but it's almost like she had an episode? Maybe because it was hot yesterday, and it was stuffy in the coop? Idk! Thanks for the responses! ♥️

Do you feed a layer type feed and do you have crushed oyster shell available in a separate container to supplement calcium? You could try giving human calcium with vitamin D for a few days to see if the egg shells get harder.

Do you feed a layer type feed and do you have crushed oyster shell available in a separate container to supplement calcium? You could try giving human calcium with vitamin D for a few days to see if the egg shells get harder.
Yes to both. I just started giving them oyster shells this week! And I could put a drop or two of Vitamin D in her special breakfasts! 😁

Back
Top Bottom