Respiratory Infection in Rooster

My understanding it is difficult to get abx in CA.
I'm sorry that you are facing this:hugs
OK so, you just need to try to work with what you have. I would continue with the VetRx then. Keep working on him drinking, he needs to stay hydrated. If possible, get some probiotics into him. These can be purchased probiotics or if you have some plain yogurt, mix a little into his feed. About 1 tablespoon yogurt a day.
I know the little sheet that comes in the VetRx box is small print, some folks have reported there was not an instruction sheet, if that's the case - instructions can be found in the link below. You can try stepping up to a bit of stronger solution per the instructions to see if that helps.
https://www.drugs.com/vet/vetrx-poultry-remedy.html

Does he have any lice/mites? Just asking, I'm sure you would have mentioned them.

As for him dying of loneliness, he will be ok by himself. I keep roosters by themselves all the time. The breed I keep the males cannot be near one another period, they each have their own pen and do just fine.
That said, they do like being able to see other chickens, then hens run loose so they do get to have visitors stop by and chat (the hens reach in and eat their food:D)

What is your weather like and how is your coop/run set up?
The issue may be that you have a chicken in the house, so...
Do you have a place where you can set up a dog kennel or crate or section off a secure area for the rooster while he's recovering? He will need to be sheltered and stay relatively warm. Near the hens or inside the coop with good ventilation would be preferrable, they do like to see the girls.
This may also help ease some tensions within the household as well. Just a thought.
Thank you so much for the support. I gave him some more VetRx just now and he started coughing/choking when trying to eat his food afterward. I mixed his feed with water and had him eat from my hand and he did a little better. I will definitely try the yogurt tomorrow.
I will also look into the stronger dose since he seemed to be doing worse just now that he was coughing.
He doesn't seem to have any lice/mites, and I Iive in a trailer on raw land so my bathtub is pretty much the only somewhat warm option for him.
I have 5 hens and 1 other rooster that shared a coop with my sick boy. So far none of the others are showing symptoms right now. I would like him to spend some time with the others but I also don't want to risk the others getting sick as well :( One of my girls is very close with him so I was even contemplating bringing her in to be with him lol
Also, it's been rainy/windy/snowy and in the mid-20 degrees at night and in the 40's during the day.
My coop and run are covered in plastic right now to protect from the elements with the entire door section uncovered for ventilation. The coop is also not insulated, it's made of thin wood boards, so I don't know if this could have contributed to his illness as he may have gotten too cold.
I honestly don't know if I want to send him back out there and risk him getting cold or getting worse. I might just fight to keep him in my tub as long as it's warm for him.

Thank you so much for the advice, I'm really hoping things look up.

Then I would try to keep him inside if possible.
Poor guy!
I never asked how old he was. If you have photos of him you wish to share that would be good too.

Healthy birds can handle those temps and weather just fine as long as they have a place to get out of the wind/rain, but a sick bird like your fella really does need to be kept warm since they can struggle to regulate their body temp.

You mention he coughed/choked on his food when he ate - is his crop emptying completely overnight?

You're doing what you can for him, so hang in there! Keep us posted.

Then I would try to keep him inside if possible.
Poor guy!
I never asked how old he was. If you have photos of him you wish to share that would be good too.

Healthy birds can handle those temps and weather just fine as long as they have a place to get out of the wind/rain, but a sick bird like your fella really does need to be kept warm since they can struggle to regulate their body temp.

You mention he coughed/choked on his food when he ate - is his crop emptying completely overnight?

You're doing what you can for him, so hang in there! Keep us posted.
Thank you so much. He's 7 months old. I've been checking his crop and it's empty in the mornings, however I realized I haven't been putting grit out for him, so it may be that?

I managed to get a vet appointment for him for Tuesday, so I'm hoping he makes it until then. I haven't seen anymore foamy or watery eyes, or seen/heard him gasping for breath, and no more coughing. He just sounds a little congested.

I am a little worried he'll get better and I'll put him back outside and he won't be used to the cold anymore and he'll get sick again because he acclimated to the warmth of my bathtub. So I'm wondering if maybe taking him outside during the day periodically so he can adjust to the outside temps would be beneficial or if it would just be detrimental at this point 🤔

If his crop is emptying, that's a good thing.

So are symptoms subsiding some?

He would probably enjoy being taken outside when the weather is agreeable. Getting some fresh air is always good (for everyone!).

Put him in your chicken hospital and try giving ginger, cinnamon and turmeric mixed with water and give with medicine dropper. I had to get his beak open and give it to him. It cured my roo within 2 days from respiratory issue.

Back
Top Bottom