Respiratory Infection PLEASE HELP!!

I have a Buff Orpington that has started developing a wheeze yesterday. No drainage from eyes or nose. I started her on Tylan 50 subcutaneously along with Nutri-Drench in the water for everyone (total of 11 birds).

My question: will my sick bird even lay eggs?

It depends upon how sick she is. If she is very ill then she may well stop laying so that she can use all her energy to get herself better. If she is not so bad then she could well carry on laying throughout, but you should not eat the eggs, because of the possibility of antibiotic residue.

My vet tells me to throw eggs laid from the first day of treatment through to 12 days after the last administration of the medicine. Therefore if you treat for 5 days you have to throw away eggs for a total of 17 days. In addition, you should not ever sell eggs from a bird that has been treated with antibiotics since it started laying, and if you choose to give them away to friends then you should make them aware that the bird has been treated in the past. This is not because there are masses of antibiotic residues in all the eggs, but simply that very few studies have been conducted on residues, and therefore antibiotics are not authorised for use in laying hens. I have researched online and found that the few studies conducted found very different results - often depending upon the exact antibiotic used.

It depends upon how sick she is. If she is very ill then she may well stop laying so that she can use all her energy to get herself better. If she is not so bad then she could well carry on laying throughout, but you should not eat the eggs, because of the possibility of antibiotic residue.

My vet tells me to throw eggs laid from the first day of treatment through to 12 days after the last administration of the medicine. Therefore if you treat for 5 days you have to throw away eggs for a total of 17 days. In addition, you should not ever sell eggs from a bird that has been treated with antibiotics since it started laying, and if you choose to give them away to friends then you should make them aware that the bird has been treated in the past. This is not because there are masses of antibiotic residues in all the eggs, but simply that very few studies have been conducted on residues, and therefore antibiotics are not authorised for use in laying hens. I have researched online and found that the few studies conducted found very different results - often depending upon the exact antibiotic used.
Also depends on how much and if it's given orally or by injection.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Can the eggs be fed back to the flock? Or to my dogs?

The same principle of antibiotic residue and resistance applies to all animals, so I wouldn't risk it. If you are only medicating one bird then it shouldn't be too hard to dump her eggs for a couple of weeks - it's not like you have to throw eggs from the whole flock.

Having said that, when I medicated the whole flock I did actually feed them back the eggs whilst they were still receiving antibiotic treatment. My logic was that they were getting a full dose of antibiotic every day, and if there was a small residue in the eggs it wouldn't make a huge difference on top of the medicine they were receiving. However, once I stopped the antibiotic treatment I also stopped giving them back the eggs. It just made me feel a bit better that I only threw away a week's worth of eggs, and not twelve days!

Just to note - my old vet used to tell me to throw eggs for 12 days from the start of the treatment, and my new vet says 12 days from the end of the treatment - I don't know which one (if any) is right!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom