Respiratory infection?

Sjbchickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 6, 2014
San Juan Bautista , ca
Feeling a little frustrated. I purchased two new pullets a week ago & it's been a mess. I've never had sick chickens before. Background : they came with lice so I dusted them with DE & sprayed them with poultry protector. Then one had runny foamy poop so they are in day three of Corid & it's firmed up & looking normal but now one is sneezing & has clear water like discharge coming from her nostril and was breathing with her beak open a little bit while resting.I don't hear any weezing and they are eating & drinking. I have duramycin 72-200 here but not sure I should or how to administer it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Unfortunately people will sell sick or disease-carrier chickens to unsuspecting people. Your Duramycin 72-200 looks to be just like Liquamycin LA200, so in this link, they say 1 ml or 200mg for a 5 lb chicken. It is used off label, so there is no official package dosage for chickens. Tylan 50 might be another choice--1/2 ml for 5 lb daily as a shot into breast muscle, 1 ml for larger hens.

X2.

Also, do you have an existing flock already? If you do, and if you have kept these new birds quarantined well away from them, then you might serioulsy consider returning them where you got them or culling them rather then integrating whatever this is into your flock.

I took the other stuff back and purchased the powder. I'm beginning to think it's the culprit as the buffs face is slightly swollen. My other hen is not in with them they are in a different coop. Should I treat her to be on the safe side?

I never think it is good to give antibiotics to chickens not having symptoms of disease. That causes bacteria to build up resistance to antibiotics. On the other hand, Corid should be given to everyone where there is cocci infection, since it will spread in the poo, but Corid isn't an antibiotic.

X2.

Also, do you have an existing flock already?  If you do, and if you have kept these new birds quarantined well away from them, then you might serioulsy consider returning them where you got them or culling them rather then integrating whatever this is into your flock.

With much deliberation the girls went back to the women I purchased them from. Even with antibiotics they weren't improving.

Sorry that it happened. I'm sure you felt torn, but it was the best thing for your flock. Hopefully none of the respiratory problems will spread. Fortunately MG/CRD, coryza, and infectious bronchitis usually die out after a few days after cleaning.

Yes I spent most of yesterday figuring out my next move. I'm going to keep a very close eye on my hen :/We're building a larger run for her this weekend & then ordering very young chicks from a new source I found today. Wish I had found them before!! Oh well I'm well stocked on medication. I'm going to disinfect the secondary coop tomorrow morning. Thank you for answering my many questions.

Back
Top Bottom