Respiratory issue with male pekin duck

tofupup

Songster
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Hi,

I've been reading various threads on this forum but having found the right info yet. Maybe someone can help me? The duck vet is out of the office until Tuesday, and I don't want the duck to drop dead in the next two days. I am going to the vet on Tuesday.

I have an approx. 6-month old Pekin male duck with a respiratory issue. He started coughing about a week ago. Then he stopped, so I figured he was fine.

Yesterday I noticed he wasn't running around with his two friend ducks, and then when I put them to bed, he was breathing heavily. I brought him inside, and he's doing the belly breathing, where his tail end is bobbing up and down w/ the effort of breathing. There is occasional mouth breathing and occasionally a slight wheezing noise.

He is lethargic, ate only a little bit of lettuce. Put him in the warm tub and he's floating but not doing the normal happy splash.

My question is this: I have a good supply of both Baytril and Cephalexin. Are either of these okay to use for ducks, and if so what is the dosage?

** Yes, I am going to the vet on Tuesday, but I don't want him to die in the meantime. ****

Any thoughts/ shared experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom