Respiratory or eye infection?

shinymelody

Chirping
Apr 4, 2021
Hello everyone!! I have six two-month old chicks. They're, for the most part fine. This afternoon however, one of them has a eye that is completely swollen shut (see attached pic). The others are acting normally, eating and drinking and running around. This little one is a little lethargic but is eating and drinking when offered. There is no discharge from the eye or nose, but the other eye is almost glassy? I don't know how to explain it, but i would just like some input as to whether this looks like an eye or respiratory infection or something else? What does everyone recommend for this? As I'm typing this, my brother has given the chick VetRX (I'm really hoping it's safe for chicks, but i couldnt find anything regarding an age limit) and the clearer eye looks less glassy.
We do have a vet, but they're about two hours away, plus the time it would take to make an appointment and i just want to make sure they survive. :( Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230622-134135.png
    Screenshot_20230622-134135.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
What is your general location? Do you have mosquitoes out right now? The swollen eyelid looks like it has scabs or peck marks. I wonder a bit about fowl pox. Or that she was pecked. Do you see any bubbles, foam, or gunk inside that eye? Can you get a picture or one of the other eye? I would put some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin in the eye twice a day. If there is pus, it may need to be squeezed out. If she has fowl pox, you may see scabs on her face, comb, and wattles, as well as on other chickens.

What is your general location? Do you have mosquitoes out right now? The swollen eyelid looks like it has scabs or peck marks. I wonder a bit about fowl pox. Or that she was pecked. Do you see any bubbles, foam, or gunk inside that eye? Can you get a picture or one of the other eye? I would put some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin in the eye twice a day. If there is pus, it may need to be squeezed out. If she has fowl pox, you may see scabs on her face, comb, and wattles, as well as on other chickens.
Sorry for the late reply! I couldn't get clear pictures until this morning. :( Whatever's going on with the first eye seems to have spread to the other eye, so I'm not sure if it's anything to do with being pecked on. 😭 I'm just outside of Houston, TX so there's definitely a lot of mosquitoes, especially in the evening. No puss or discharge near the eyes or nostrils. Pics are from a few minutes ago. 😔

Edit: she's still eating as long as we show her where the food is and is also drinking, but not as much as i would like. :(

Attachments

• IMG-20230623-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20230623-WA0002.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-20230623-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230623-WA0001.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
It could be Fowl Pox.

Do you see any lesions or material inside the beak?
We just checked, inside the beak seems completely normal. Other than the eyes being the way they are, nothing else seems wrong. :( She can sort of open one of her eyes now but it's watery? I'm starting to think it is fowl pox just bc she's kinda scabby looking. I had a different hen get it a few years ago, but it wasn't bad at all, I haven't had one look like this. :(

Attachments

• IMG-20230624-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20230624-WA0004.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-20230623-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20230623-WA0008.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 19
I lean towards this being Fowl Pox as well.

Work on her staying hydrated and eating. Take care when applying the ointment that you don't rub too much, which can cause it to spread.
Hopefully this will clear up soon, but if it is Fowl Pox, it will have to run its course.

Where did the chick come from? How long have you had it?

Where did the chick come from? How long have you had it?
One of my hens hatched 7 babies. They're 7 weeks now, the rest are completely healthy.
I lean towards this being Fowl Pox as well.

Work on her staying hydrated and eating. Take care when applying the ointment that you don't rub too much, which can cause it to spread.
Hopefully this will clear up soon, but if it is Fowl Pox, it will have to run its course.
Yes, will do!! She's taking water perfectly fine on her own, but needs to be encouraged to eat. We're adding water to some chick feed to get her to eat right now, but she's not taking much.

She's inside the house right now with one of her siblings who we thought was a little sick (but she's fine now, it might have been nothing bc she's acting completely normal and eating treats like crazy. 😬 Temps are reaching past the 100s right now; would letting them out to get some sun early in the morning when it's "coolest" be okay, or would the drastic change be bad for her body while she's sick?

One of my hens hatched 7 babies. They're 7 weeks now, the rest are completely healthy.

Yes, will do!! She's taking water perfectly fine on her own, but needs to be encouraged to eat. We're adding water to some chick feed to get her to eat right now, but she's not taking much.

She's inside the house right now with one of her siblings who we thought was a little sick (but she's fine now, it might have been nothing bc she's acting completely normal and eating treats like crazy. 😬 Temps are reaching past the 100s right now; would letting them out to get some sun early in the morning when it's "coolest" be okay, or would the drastic change be bad for her body while she's sick?
I'm in Houston. It does more harm by bringing them in and out of the AC. I'd recommend leaving the all outside and not going back n forth.

Are the eyes still very swollen? I would keep any gunk cleaned off and continue to use eye ointment, so that she can eventually see. Offer wet chickens feed, scrambled egg, and water often. Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes may be good during the extreme heat while the eyes are swollen. Are any others showing signs of fowl pox? Here is a picture of a chick with fowl pox:
1687736877829.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom