respiratory rattle

Gonda

Songster
Nov 14, 2009
When I went into my coop last night I heard some rattly snoring sounds which I hadn't heard before. This morning, my three Wyandottes have rattly breathing, two hens and a rooster. What would explain this? They don't have any other symptoms so far that I can see. No watery discharge or mucous, their eyes look normal. The one hen has been broody for several weeks and still is, the other hen has been active and just laid an egg and then went outside, and the rooster seems his normal self. Besides the three Wyandottes, I have orpingtons, wheaten marans and easter eggers, none of which are showing any signs or symptoms so far.

Any idea what would explain the sudden onset rattly respirations, and the fact that only the Wyandottes have it (so far)? My chickens are in a clean coop, well ventilated, outside daily unless it's really wet out there. We've had a lot of rain here (we're in BC, Canada), but also a lot of decent days, not too cold, and they have been outside most days. They get clean water regularly, usually with ACV but I had not been adding that lately. I'll start that again, as well as extra vitamins, and will give the three affected chickens colloidal silver. Not sure if I can mix the silver with the ACV in the water, am waiting for a call back from a pharmacy where they deal with veterinary issues and natural approaches. They don't diagnose, however, but will advise once I have an idea what I'm dealing with. So if there is anyone who has some experience with this I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!

There are several resp problems that chickens can get. I think the most common one out there now are the Mycoplasmas (MG and MS). Oxine in a vaporizer or mister can help alot.

Sorry your chooks are sick, wish I had more info to help you.

thanks - I've checked several poultry disease links and there is nothing that helps lead to a diagnosis so far, as they have only the rattle (very much upper airway - it sounds like a gurgly sound in their throats). The two Wheaten Marans now also have symptoms, the hen has the gurgly throat rattle, and the rooster has a high pitched crow, so a change in his voice. The Wheaten Marans hen just laid an egg and they're all eating and drinking and activity is as usual.

I received an email from someone via another poultry forum, suggesting that this might be gape worm, rather than a respiratory issue. I think that person could be right, as it really is a throat gurgle, and no other symptoms, except the roosters are not crowing as well as usual, and have a different sound, which could also be due to gape worm. I have fenbendazole, and will give them all a round of treatment tonight, and again in 7-10 days. Too bad, we'll have to throw the eggs out. But I'm thankful to the person who suggested this, as I may have been going down the wrong track. We'll see how they respond.

Quote:
If they are eating and drinking normally, I doubt it's gapeworm. If it isnt gapes, it's a respiratory issue. Purchase tylan 50 injectable, you can give it to them orally. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size birds for 5 days, 1/4cc for smaller birds for 5 days. You should see improvement by the 3rd or 4th day....continue and include the 5th day dosing. There is no withdrawal. If it is gapeworm, withold feeding them for 24 hours. Then I recommend dosing them with the safeguard 3 days after the first dosing, then 3 days after the second dosing. Withdrawal will be 14 days after the last dosing.

Respiratory problem?
I have a hen that is wheezing through open beak (in and out) and "sneezing"? Sounds like a loud chirp.
I also have rooster that seems to be gurgling from his throat.
They were all out this morning and seemed fine, though I have heard the hen chirping for a day or so... The rest seem fine, so far.
How do I treat this and where can one find the treatment, without resorting to a vet?
Should I have tried a new thread???

Respiratory problem?
I have a hen that is wheezing through open beak (in and out) and "sneezing"? Sounds like a loud chirp.
I also have rooster that seems to be gurgling from his throat.
They were all out this morning and seemed fine, though I have heard the hen chirping for a day or so... The rest seem fine, so far.
How do I treat this and where can one find the treatment, without resorting to a vet?
Should I have tried a new thread???

I came home to something similar today. One hen - who was fine yesterday - has labored breathing through an open beak, but no sound at all - no wheezing or gurgling. She seems lethargic, but no diarreah or bloody poops. I have Sulmet on hand (bacterial pneumonia?) so I changed the water to that solution, and also got her to swallow 4 - 5 ml by syringe. My hens are cooped and she is in one alone right now, so no isolation problems.

I've read about a few remedies... like Tylan 50 and Sulfa. How is one to know what is best. I take it that these are antibiotics? How does one aquire them? Can human antibiotics work, although in extremely small doses?

This is a very late update, but I realized I had not posted the outcome which might help other readers. In the end, I concluded that this was not a gapeworm issue after all. I treated the first ones that started with the respiratory rattle with fenbendazole, and then felt I was still not on the right track so went back to theory that it was simply a respiratory infection of some sort. A few more of the hens started with the snoring rattly sounds, no other symptoms. And then my Ameraucana hen developed a loud, croupy sound, which I could hear as I approached the coop. That's when I did some quick searching to find out what I could give her in terms of a natural bronchodilator. I learned that there are various things that could relax the airway: licorice, cayenne pepper, bromelain, coffee, magnesium, anise seed oil, and ACV would help also, I read. I made a mixture of whatever I had available, and gave the croupy hen a few mls. She took it well from the syringe. Twenty min later she was still making the croupy breathing sounds, very loud noise on breathing in, no other symptoms. I then decided to give the mixture to another hen as well, as she was rattly. As I was doing that, I suddenly realized that the noise from the Ameraucana hen had stopped. Her breathing was quiet. I came back later and she was making only the occasional slight noise, and the other hen was no longer gurgly. So, I concluded that they had something that was affecting their airways, and it seemed the natural bronchodilators helped (my theory). I then treated all of the rattly gurgly chickens with the same mixture and they all were breathing normally within 30 min. I repeated the treatment a few times the next morning and evening for a few when I heard the noises, and each time, they settled to normal breathing. The next day they were all back to normal. No medications needed, didn't have to discard any eggs, and the symptoms did not recur.

Interesting treatments via the natural products. Would you be able to give more info and/or a link to learn more? My rooster has some "rattles" that are not constant. He was treated with Tylan injectible but it didn't help. I'd like to try the natural remedies you mentioned but I'd need a bit more info, if you have a chance to post. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom