Respitory Infection?

JosieR

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Orange County, NY
I have 1 runner that has stuff around her eyes. At first I thought it might be snow/ice because the feathers look a little ruffled there. She won't really let me get close enough to check her out. She's acting fine otherwise. No sneezing or anything. The temps here went from high twenties to single digits the last couple of nights and I did have a problem with condensation in their house, not bad, just a little dampness on the walls, I've opened it up some and it seems to be OK. Today is the first day I've noticed this.

Is this an infection or just irritation? Should I give all 5 antibiotics in their water?

Thanks!

What kind of setup do they have for thoroughly washing their faces? Sometimes you can head off something more serious by a good wash-up - now, don't fall over laughing, but - could you bring her in for a lukewarm bath? She might be able to clear it up herself.

That may not be the best idea, but I think you may catch my drift.

It's SO cold that I can't get water out for a proper bath. I have those black rubber bowls, they could dunk their head in their if they wanted to but I haven't seen them do it since it got really gold.

Might you be able to add some very warm water? I can do that sometimes - bring out very warm water (making sure my little darlings don't shove their heads under it as I pour it in!), and give them a lukewarm water bucket. They usually start washing right away when I do that.

But then, when did ducks become cooperative, even for their own good?

What about a more indoor option? Or, I know this is a pain, picking her up and, with a lukewarm damp washcloth, washing her face for her? Just thinkin' here. . . .

I don't know about inside. I actually thought about setting up her old brooder box with a light so I could spray her 3x a day and she could take it easy. We're going down to single digits tonight and below zero tomorrow. But I'm afraid giving her light might do more harm that good since she's going to have to go back out. She's very skittish and I worry that she would freak out, especially being away from the other ducks. I got a spray that my feed store suggested and what a pain in the butt she was to get a hold of her to just spray her eyes!!

Is this the kind of thing she needs TLC for? Should I run a heat lamp out to her run? I don't want her to be warm but if I could give her a spot that's in the 20s or 30s maybe? I can do the warm rag, well, I don't know how warm it will be by the time I get out there and get ahold of her! I could probably fill their out cement pan with snow and haul a bucket of hot water to make enough cool water for her to get into.

My runners are my favorite, can ya tell? LOL They just don't seem to be handling the cold as well as my Cayugas.

My runners do not seem to handle the cold as well as books say ducks do. I guess they don't read those books!
big_smile.png

I ended up bringing them into the basement where it's near 50F, because at 20F at night, they were starting to get stressed. When it is above 20 and sunny, or similar weather (like 30 even if it's cloudy), they go out, sometimes for hours at a time. But I check on them and they give signals as to when they need to get in out of the cold.

I think TLC now can help avoid trouble. That's just my feeling, and I am a duck-spoiling momma. But, I like to point out, my runners are in great health and give me eight or nine eggs a day right now.

LOL these are totally pets so I lean towards spoiling. They have been fine but now that we're in the teens my one runner seems stressed. I don't care about the eggs, in fact, my concern about putting a light out to their run to give them a little heat is I don't want them getting all messed up with sudden light all night. I could bring her in with a friend but then there's only 3 outside to keep each other warm...sigh. The book said they would be fine! Silly ducks, I really wish they had read the book
big_smile.png

A ceramic heater bulb is more expensive but lasts a long time and makes heat without light. I found them when I kept a boa constrictor (R.I.P. Minerva, 29 great years)

If it is dried crusty stuff it is probably because she cannot wash her head and keep it clean. The normal discharge from eyes can get that way especially in winter.

If it doesn't interfere with her seeing and blinking I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise you could catch her and wrap in towel to lower her stress and pick the stuff off.

I would be careful using antibiotics on ducks.. They are very sensitive. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom