Surprise .. surprise.

Aug 2, 2019
There were the 5 we bought and then there are two our brooders surprised us with. There's one more but one of the brooders decided to act like a mother to it instead of Mommy Dearest. We found 4 brooder surprises but 2 didn't make it. The last picture is my grown 5 eating my azaleas.

Wanted 2 new Pekins, got 5 unknowns and now have the 5 plus 3 new Pekins.

@Miss Lydia you were right the one is a white and fawn Indian Runner. We named her Tangerine but have changed it to Little Miss Thing. She's such a diva. We also refer to her as our tiny dancer. She's the first in the pool and right now seems to have become the leader of the pack. I am thinking I am going to have to try to find another Runner so she's not the only odd one out.

Attachments

• IMG_20230513_193404455.jpg
    IMG_20230513_193404455.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20230527_115636815.jpg
    IMG_20230527_115636815.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230628_162413220~2.jpg
    IMG_20230628_162413220~2.jpg
    891.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230628_162444450.jpg
    IMG_20230628_162444450.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 11
There were the 5 we bought and then there are two our brooders surprised us with. There's one more but one of the brooders decided to act like a mother to it instead of Mommy Dearest. We found 4 brooder surprises but 2 didn't make it. The last picture is my grown 5 eating my azaleas.

Wanted 2 new Pekins, got 5 unknowns and now have the 5 plus 3 new Pekins.

@Miss Lydia you were right the one is a white and fawn Indian Runner. We named her Tangerine but have changed it to Little Miss Thing. She's such a diva. We also refer to her as our tiny dancer. She's the first in the pool and right now seems to have become the leader of the pack. I am thinking I am going to have to try to find another Runner so she's not the only odd one out.
They sure are gorgeous. ♥️

Very cautiously we took the 2 babies to the pens. They followed one of the brooders inside then just sat down between them. Mommie Dearest was going crazy. She was running around. We opened the gate because she could be their mother but she started charging at them. They cuddled up next to the other brooder for protection and we got the crazy out of there. We left, came back later and the mother let the third chick out. They are like peas in a pod. Now I am glad we took them back. And then in the very back of the other pen, we have one doing some serious brooding. I am thinking there will be more in the next week. One drake and he has 6 females. At least 3 and probably 4 are "with chick".

Enough of my woes... I have a question about Niacin. I live in rural USA but the only animal supply store we have is TSC. We feed the ducks Dumor. We feed the 5 new ones Purina because they were kept separate from the others for a while before we let them meet. They have moved into the pens so they are eating Dumor. I am curious about the Niacin. I want to get some to keep around but I have no idea what brand or how much to give them and for how long. I have one brooder that is having a hard time getting up and walking. I thought I would try giving her niacin and with the new ones I think it would be a good idea to supplement their food occasionally. I feed them peas and Walmart has had a run on peas. I haven't been able to get any for them for 3 weeks. I had some in the freezer and some in the pantry but the cubbards are bare, at least of peas.

Any help on what brand, how much to give them or anything about niacin supplement would be appreciated. I have 7 adults, 5 teenagers and 3.. soon to be more babies.

You can order nutrition yeast online and that’s a good way of getting niacin into them all my birds babies and adults get NY sprinkled over their feed everyday it’s so good for them.
TSC Carrie’s liquid B Complex usually Durvet brand it will say injectable but we use it orally when one is already having problems walking etc that is the best to use to get them over it. Good info
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

If one is already having trouble walking get the liquid vitamin B complex going as soon as possible! Pekins especially tend to need extra niacin and if they don't get it when developing their problems will become debilitating. Tractor supply, or Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom