retired german shepard dog? nc... other reccomendations welcome!!!!!!!

I have found that as the owner of the dog bonds with the pet, the pet returns the affection by licking, waging the tail etc., bonding with it's owner. The pet also then will feel a need to protect it's owner...I love my 2 female Boxers and I wouldn't want to be the one who wanted into the house. But like raising children a dog needs one on one time too!

I agree with the comment of the first responder that worked dogs. A retired GSD is NOT exactly the thing an uneducated person needs. Quite often just a large confident dog works wonders as a deterrent. I have and work rotties. I have a 10 month old PUPPY that tops the scales at 80 lbs at this moment. Even just "playing" he is soo very strong. When he gets working he is really strong. Besides retired working dogs are usually not that cheap.
smile.png
Good luck with your friend finding a dog!

ok, so i havent talked to her yet, as she is pt her oldest... but i found someone around here giving away beagle/lab mixes... would that be a good kind of dog for her???

Check your local shelters or rescues. Most can be found at www.petfinder.com

Each dog is evaluated for placement in homes w/small children, other dogs, cats..etc. If she is wanting one already trained, I would suggest looking at older dogs, not puppies. Being an owner of a large black dog (who is a big ole baby), people are more immediately intimidated by a big black dog. An older dog would be past the puppy chewing stage, probably already housetrained or easier to housetrain and are usually calmer.

I would also like to suggest freecycle, craigslist and the classified ads section of petfinder not just those ads from rescues and shelters to look for a dog. So many people are needing to rehome their animals now and she may find just what she needs there. An older dog would be perfect, past the accident and chew phase. She will also be able to talk to the owners to get a really good idea of the dogs temperment, likes, dislikes, be able to see the dogs reaction in their home environment as well as how well the dog interacts with the kids (outside of a stressful kennel situation). A loud barking dog (size of dog does not matter) at the door will make most people back away from the door. True in some states a sign will not legally protect you but sometimes signs can be a deterent (except for those pesky door to door salesman, guess they can't read "no trespassing" among other things).

I second that a trained GSD is not for the weak or faint of heart. My oldest DS is in law enforcement and trains (for enjoyment) and there is nothing more beautiful than watching these dogs work. To those that have not seen it before, it can be scary to view the first time. We have even had the pleasure to meet and watch those dogs that work for law enforcement up close and have seen them in action. These dogs require that you work them on daily basis reinforcing training and exercising, and in itself can be a full time job. A "retired" dog would still have all of these requirements, and I believe that once retired they are not allowed to go to "pet" homes because of the liability issues. Some agencies give the handler the option of the dog continuing to spend the rest of their days living in their home.

My brother and I were terrorized by the neighbor's poorly trained and poorly bred GSD growing up. If you would have told me 5 yrs ago I would own one I would have had you committed. Small and fluffy were more my speed.

When the time came that I needed a service dog, my son went to a reputable breeder after searching the country for just the right dog and found a "washed out" dog(meaning she did not have the bite drive needed for competition, and she was from excellent west german show lines). He and my husband brought her home to train as a service dog for me. This was after she was tested for temperment heavily among tons of other things. She has her CGC certification and my youngest took her for 4-H for his dog project. She has been a huge asset for me. BUT....she has been HEAVILY trained on many, many things. I would not have personally attempted this had my son not already been a trained handler and had extensive experience working with this breed.

The insurance company came to the house yesterday to take pics for a new policy, not sure if this company will insure or not now because of my shepherd. Have your friend check her policy first, some have restriction even on mixed breeds as well.

Back
Top Bottom