Returning Baby Ducks to Farm

chersmom

In the Brooder
May 27, 2021
Hi everyone,

I was recently ( three weeks ago) gifted three baby pekin ducklings, and have been raising them in my house and backyard. I love them so much and spend a lot of time taking care of them, however, it's becoming really hard to take care of them constantly and will soon be travelling so it won't be realistic for me to make a coop in my backyard. I think I am going to have to return them to the farm they came from, or some sort of animal sanctuary, but am not sure if it's too soon to give them back. They are all attached to each other the most, but tend to follow me or other family members around and don't always like to be alone. They're only three weeks so I don't want to give them just yet, but am wondering when the best time would be- when they are ready to let us go and won't be too sad/miss us? Not sure if that will be the case but I want to avoid that as much as possible. Just want to make sure they are safe and happy.

@fatty and friends - not all farms raise ducks for food. We have always kept Khakis just as loving pets. But yes, perhaps a farm sanctuary or looking for a responsible person with experience with ducks who just wants a pet :)
not all of course, but most will kill the “extra” drakes while sanctuaries will make sure all the drakes are happy/healthy

Yeah they love hanging out with us, definitely trying to find somebody who may be able to take them
Try posting here, on Nextdoor if you have it in Ontario and on Craigslist. I recommend going to see the family if you find one on Craigslist. I found 3 of my precious ducks on CL. I’ve had them for over 6 years, adore them, and rearranged my entire life for them - so you can find good homes on CL, you just have to be careful and do some screening.

I also consider my land a farm, but a hobby farm. We grow veggies and keep rescued farm animals as pets. So I agree that a small scale farm that wants pets could be safe, but a production farm feels inappropriate for what you want for your sweet little ducks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/canadians-check-in-here.144/

Back
Top Bottom