Revamping run, in need of ideas

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone!
I've posted a few threads in the past about my muddy duck run/planting it/keeping it clean. Well, I've decided to take up the project this summer of revamping the entire thing. We did it last year, took down every fence, re build the wire duck coops, cleared out the dense bushes behind it that gave predators a place to hide, etc, etc. This year I have a few more educated changes I want to make.
Right now, the run is a bunch of flimsy hog fencing that isn't built to stand up on its own, forced to stand up on its own. Then a few structures in the middle hold up the netting. For the ground its self, what used to be grass is now dead dirt. It gets incredibly muddy despite the fact that its placed on a high spot, and if the area isn't muddy its really rocky and dry. Before I joined, I made the uneducated decision to rake all the muddy bedding out of the duck "coop", and put it in the run since the run was already muddy in the winter. That has now back fired. I have some serious things I need to change lol!
In a perfect world, I would put 6ft tall wooden posts in the ground and secure the hog fencing to them. Then do a tight flat layer of netting over the top of the posts. Build a real walled in duck coop, and bring a load of mulch in to put on top of the problematic ground. Of course, the mulch would go down after scraping the ground of mud and rocks.
But I can only work with what I have. I do have T-posts that I want to use to stand up the fencing, but those wont make the netting any nicer haha! My biggest concern is the ground. Mulch isn't super feasible, and I could have access to a good sized pile of aged wood chips, but don't have a good way to bring big loads to my house. Any ideas?
Ps. Sorry for writing a short novel lol! Photos coming soon.

For the tall wooden posts, those might be feasible, but I would have to ask the builder in the family first haha. See if he would be willing to do that for me. I may be able to get the posts I want, but I really need any other ideas for fixing this setup you may have. Especially for the ground if I'm not able to get those chips. Thanks guys!

I could have access to a good sized pile of aged wood chips, but don't have a good way to bring big loads to my house.
How difficult/far is it to get to the source of the chips?

If you have room to take an entire truckload, you could just have a tree service come dump it on your lot.

Depending on the mesh size of the netting, you can put electric fence insulators on top of the t-posts to protect the netting, if you need to. Or, you can run a fairly thick cable/wire along the top of the t-posts and use turnbuckles to tension that wire, then fasten the netting to that using butterfly clips. Sorry I don't have pictures but that's what hubby did some years ago on the first property on which we had fowl.

How difficult/far is it to get to the source of the chips?

If you have room to take an entire truckload, you could just have a tree service come dump it on your lot.
It's about 20 minuets down the road from our house. True, not a bad idea. If we tried to get the chips ourselves, the biggest thing we have to carry chips is garbage cans. Thats a lot of trips.
I have photos I'm about to upload. I don't have exact dimensions of the run, but its pretty big.

It's about 20 minuets down the road from our house. True, not a bad idea. If we tried to get the chips ourselves, the biggest thing we have to carry chips is garbage cans. Thats a lot of trips.
Yeah that would be a lot of trips, at 20 minutes a ride. No pick up truck that you can work with? (You could just load up the bed itself that way). I don't have a truck either, so I'd really need chips to be brought to me. :(

A06E625D-5611-4036-9E79-6B1B8A24CC6F.jpeg
589DA52D-F2D8-47A0-AB59-6F2E2D9F5A22.jpeg
320C3CE3-FD72-4DB1-ABE2-AC2213E00FDA.jpeg

The divider Separates the chickens from the ducks. We only have it up to separate some over mated hens from our rooster. They’ve been staying with the duck for now. It’ll come down once we revamp.
Yeah that would be a lot of trips, at 20 minutes a ride. No pick up truck that you can work with? (You could just load up the bed itself that way). I don't have a truck either, so I'd really need chips to be brought to me. :(
We do have a flat bed trailer we could probably use now that I think about it. I bet I could get a pretty good amount of chips on that. Hopefully enough as the run is pretty large.
Nothing with walls sadly. Ps. Sorry for the late photos. 😉

Back
Top Bottom