ibpboo

Where Chickens Ride Horses
15 Years
Jul 9, 2007
always changing
Hay & Bale meet C1 & C2.

3 weeks and 3 1/2 months

HayBaleMeetC1C2-1.jpg

So how did they do when you introduced them? I have almost 12 week olds and almost 5 week olds and I really would like to introduce them but I am still afraid the big girls will really rough them up, I have 5 Buff Orps and 5 Americaunas, they are the ones I would not trust, bunch of snot's they are, the buffs are okay. Trudy

Thank you.
This morning I went out early and took the 3 week olds and place them with the 3 1/2 month olds and silkie and let them all wake up together. No pecking went on at all. The silkie became mama to the older ones when they were about a month old when I started letting them free range. I have older hens too, 6 years, they have their own coop and the rest sleep in the tack room, but they can all free range together on my acre. I am hoping to soon get a coop for the rest of the hens and those 5 can all live together. I tried for a couple days letting the 3 month olds be with the 6 year olds but the young ones didn't like it and they escaped from my coop because it has a lot of holes in it now. It is 10 years old and in much need of repair. The horse likes to tear up the chicken coop lol

Quote:
It went pretty well, one of the bigger ones pecked gently a couple times, but since they were free ranging, they wandered off. I do not let the little babies free range yet unless I am standing right there, I don't want them to get lost or eaten! Since the 3 month olds were raised by me, and then the very docile silkie, they are still very gentle and friendly.

Those are pretty birds.
smile.png

I thought I had a RIR, but now I don't think so. Mine is not as red as yours and has creamy colored feathers in certain places. They also have a little black in their tails....Hmmmm

Well, she is terribly sweet anyway!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Here is a picture of my older girls. My 3 month olds do have some black in their tails, and the young ones do have some cream/tan colors on the wings.
These two are about 6 years old, still laying. One is a lot lighter color than the other, can't tell in picture though.

RhodieRed.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, well maybe she is a RIR~~not just a good of quality as yours is?? Mine came from MM Hatchery.

BTW: That's a nice picture of them! I can't get anything to load here or I would l try to show you "Cordelia," to you, too!!
smile.png

I get mine from the local feed store, I do not know where they get them. Here is a picture of the 3 month olds when they were a month old. I had 5 to begin with, but something got 3 of them, they were just gone one day.
sad.png
By the way, the 3 month olds are C1 and C2 and the 3 week olds are Hay and Bale.

ChickiesAtHutchEntrance2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom