lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

i read some where on BYC that hens will have a spot on their head, mine all did but i did not get any roo's to compare to and they are not old enough for me to tell.

Quote:
I was told the same thing, by a man that has bought and sold chickens all of his adult life. When I looked at him funny, another man with him swore that it works. I don't know, but will try it on my next hatch.

According to that research article the head dots and brown strips mean a high percent female rate 90 something percent. Also the darker strips and dots mean darker grown adults. It is only a few pages long and well worth the read.

I know this is an old thread but maybe someone can help instead of me starting a new thread...... I bought 5 Rhode Island Reds from local farm and ranch store they had no idea on sex of the chicks since it was a straight run. one has no tail feathers yet no it does not get pecked by the others. Could that be a roo??? I hope so I would rather have one roo than one hen...Thanks for any help

the tail feathers have nothing to do with their sex. if anything the roo should have longer feathers there then not having any at all. something happened to that chicks feathers, someone went to grab it and pulled out its feathers..

Now this may sound silly as all get out, but when mine was hatched I watched them from day one. Believe it or not I did pick the cockerels by the way they carried themselves. They stood and walked more upright and was just not as timid and the others. Out of 6 I had two cockerels. I'm looking to get rid of them today.

On 4/4 we got two RIR's from the same hatchery batch. They are about the same size but one is far more feathered than the other and has that dark stripe which many people say means she's a hen. but the other chick is far calmer...When I started reading up on sexing RIR's I was actually less confused than I am now. I'll post results in a few months when one of them crows, or (hopefully) doesn't crow.

Back
Top Bottom