rhode island red cross with wyandotte, has ear tuffs, is it ee?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by silkymom, Oct 13, 2014.

1. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    this roo i just got is beautiful hes supposed rodh island red mom and wyandotte roo, but he has ear tuffs, the old guy that raised him does have a few ee hens, he does have bright yellow legs, would he be considered ee? ill try to get a pic, soon as the hens stop beating on him,

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If he has ear tufts, then he is not a Rhode Island Red/Wyandotte cross. He is probably an Easter Egger, or an Easter Egger mix.

3. silkymom

Nov 20, 2009
    i thought so but the bright yellow legs didnt seem right, he has a rose comb, and no wattles, just fluffy ears, hes white with all blurs and black an a tan mane, i thought ees has slate legs, i do believe ya,

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    When you start crossing a cross (the EE), the "rules" about things like leg color, etc go out the window

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

You can end up with birds that look completely different than their parents, or what you think that they'll look like.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger/brown Leghorn hen....note the pretty yellow legs.[​IMG]

Pic above doesn't show muffs and beard well, but this bird also had yellow legs, you can clearly see her muffs.

[​IMG]

I don't have a pic, but I have a mixed cockerel in the grow-out pen who is shades of red and black. Yellow legs, straight comb and large muffs!

7. silkymom

Nov 20, 2009
    thanks, well my boy has bright yellow long legs,and i know the roo was wyandotte, but like i said the guy had rohed island hen , some sex links and im sure at least 2 ee hens, he said he only had one blue eg layer im guessing the other ee laye brown or tan, he did hatch this bird, i got him because he was gonna butcher all young roos he didnt need, i liked this one, hes a sweetheart, if not henpecked right now, im so mad at the hens for bieng mean to him, dont care what he is i really like him

8. silkymom

Nov 20, 2009
    going to the old guys birthday party on saterday , will get better look at flock, ill figure it out i think an ee is the hen

9. silkymom

Nov 20, 2009
    heres my good boy, the hens still hate him,[​IMG]hard to see his fluffy cheeks, and i did clip flights when i got him he was wild, hes a sweetheart now, me and him in the coop alot, flight feathers were all mottled blue and greenish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    If the only roo in the flock is the wyandotte then this bird came from an EE hen, no doubt about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by