**Rhode Island Red** roo...? help please.

There's still hope Arookar! I think they will mellow out a bit as they mature. Especially when they start squatting! lol. Also, even my newest batch that was a month old when I bought them, now at 5 months will jump up on the arm of the chair I am sitting on to visit. And when I lock them up at nite I am able to pet them or pick them up. Often, I will get them on my arm like a pet parakeet by putting my forearm under their chest and gently and slowly push till they pick their feet up and climb on. and while on the roosts, I have also started sliding my hand under their feet from behind them to pick them up....works pretty good

Arookar,

I'm noticing that my hens are getting ever friendlier as they get older. When they were around 15 weeks, I worried that my attempts at socialization hadn't worked. They didn't seem to recognize me or be willing to put up with much handling. Now they're 24 weeks (2 laying, 4 more looking very close) and follow me around the yard. If I sit down, they all come over and peck around me. They're still not exactly lap chickens (nor do I necessarily want them to be) but they definitely know me and are a pleasure to be around.

Well that's heartening. I hope they do grow more friendly with age. There are 4 or 5 of them that are first out in the morning, first to come over to the fence when I approach with the "treat" bucket, and will actually eat out of my hand if it's something good (ouch!
yippiechickie.gif
) and 2 of them will actually jump up on my knee and look me in the eye while I sit in their yard on my little stool- but only if I don't move my hands, and none of them will let me touch them or catch them easily.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom