Rhode island red vs. Plymouth rock

You will find advocates for both breeds. In many instances personalty and egglaying varies as much within a breed as it does between breeds. It all depends upon the source and genetic background of the birds that you select.

I have one of each and both are great birds and their egg production is about the same. Don't think you can go wrong with either breed.

Are we talking hatchery stock or breeder quality stock? Hatchery stock varies wildly. You can have bad and good in both breeds, of course.

This has been my personal experience with both breeds:

I've had both RIRs and BRs, in hatchery stock, as well as show quality stock. The BRs lay every bit as well as the RIRs in both types. I have 5 year old BR hens, progeny of hatchery hens, laying regularly about half of the year, and I mean 4 egg per week each.

My show type RIRs were much larger, but much more docile "mind your own business" types, than my hatchery RIR hens, though both were excellent layers.

My BRs of both types were friendly birds. Barred Rocks are my all-time favorites. I no longer have RIRs--the hatchery hens died from internal laying and ovarian cancer and I sold my breeder quality hens in a downsize. I'll always have BRs.

Last edited:
Can't say that I've ever noticed a terrible lot of difference between the two in terms of their production, egg size, or shell color.

I'd have both myself, but if I had to be limited to just one breed I'd go with Barred Rocks, but that's because I think they are prettier.

Amongst the major historical dual-purpose breeds that once had a major role to play in American agriculture - Rhode Island Reds, White and Barred Rocks, New Hampshires, and Delawares - I cannot say I find much difference in egg production, size, or quality from any of the sources I've had them from. None are really selected for any longer for the qualities that made them famous to begin with. So go with whatever you like the looks of most.

Which breed weathers the cold in the winter best, RIR's or BR's? I live in Montana, where temperatures can drop to -40F... I plan on insulating my coop and putting water heaters in the water to keep it from freezing, but I do not plan on heating the whole coop. Also, we only plan on having about 8 hens... I've thought about going half & half with both breeds... Will they run together, or will they try to fight and kill off the other breed?... We are not getting any Roosters at this point...

Last edited:
Air temperature or wind chill at -40F?

Both types can handle cold weather well. They key is to design your coop with good ventilation, but not not allow air to blow directly on them. Have vents above their heads where you can. Try to put the coop door away from the prevailing winds. They have very good insulation, but protection from water and direct drafts during extreme cold is the key. The good ventilation is important to protect them from water vapor accumulating and freezing on them.

Can't say that I've ever noticed a terrible lot of difference between the two in terms of their production, egg size, or shell color.

I'd have both myself, but if I had to be limited to just one breed I'd go with Barred Rocks, but that's because I think they are prettier.

Amongst the major historical dual-purpose breeds that once had a major role to play in American agriculture - Rhode Island Reds, White and Barred Rocks, New Hampshires, and Delawares - I cannot say I find much difference in egg production, size, or quality from any of the sources I've had them from. None are really selected for any longer for the qualities that made them famous to begin with. So go with whatever you like the looks of most.
Do they run together well, or do they fight between breeds?

Like many of the above, I've had both and consider them both very good options. Chickens raised together tend to do well, but there will be the normal pecking order games going on in any flock. Having enough space is key to minimize problems.

Back
Top Bottom