Rhode Island White Thread

Quote: Here are some of this springs RC RIW hatches. They aren't laying yet but should start soon.

Here are some younger birds. They are mostly RC RIW and Heritage RIR. There are some RSL and some 2nd generation RSL which don't breed true.

Last edited:
These hens belong to a friend, I have him the 2 Lav Amerucanas but someone else gave him the white hen. Is it a RIW??

These hens belong to a friend, I have him the 2 Lav Amerucanas but someone else gave him the white hen. Is it a RIW??
It could be, or it could be a White Rock. It is hard to tell. If it lays white eggs then it's a White Leghorn.

I have a couple of fairly good Rhode Island Whites and would like to find out more about them and who is breeding them. Mine came via a friend of Frank Reese. I did get a couple of single combs in the group is that normal? I know that many of the RC Red people every 4-5 years will put a single comb red into them to keep their vigor going.

My question is now do you cull them out or use them? I was told that it is OK to use a single comb female but not a single comb male. When I have one in my columbian wyandottes I cull it out.

I use the Single Comb RIW girls with one of my RIR boys and make Red Sex Links.
I can sell all of the female RSL's and I do have someone that will take all of the male RSL's. Second generation RSL's don't breed true.

i never have figured out this system...but I have a few RHI Whites and I think they might be from Ryan Candy...does any one have a contact info on him? If so please IM me. I would like to talk to him and find out about his line.

Thanks ROB

Anyone from the Springfield, MO area with young Rhode island white laying hens or pullets for sale? If so, PM me and let me know price and your location. I'm not wanting to go through a hatchery.
I live closer to Rogersville than Springfield.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom