Rhode Island White Thread

Pics
Ryon Carey in KS has really good ones...just hard to get him to ship out chicks. Duane Urch should have some pretty good ones. His chicks are like $7.00 each and you have to order 25 and give them a list of other breeds they can fill in with should they not be able to get 25 RIW's..

Here's what I used for contact info:

Ryon Carey is on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ryon.carey?fref=ts

Duane Urch
http://www.standardbreedpoultry.com/breeder/Duane UrchUrch-Turnland Poultry/190

If you can't find them that way then let me know and I will find you some phone numbers.

Rob

Ryon Carey in KS has really good ones...just hard to get him to ship out chicks. Duane Urch should have some pretty good ones. His chicks are like $7.00 each and you have to order 25 and give them a list of other breeds they can fill in with should they not be able to get 25 RIW's..

Here's what I used for contact info:

Ryon Carey is on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ryon.carey?fref=ts

Duane Urch
http://www.standardbreedpoultry.com/breeder/Duane UrchUrch-Turnland Poultry/190

If you can't find them that way then let me know and I will find you some phone numbers.

Rob

I have contacted both of them, no reply yet. Thanks.

Great to find this thread. I had a great flock of Rhode Island Whites. I rotated my stock and wound up with a rooster that wouldn't breed. By time I found another rooster, I had lost all but one hen of mine. The last hen stopped laying just as my new rooster got to breeding age. Then she died of old age. So my flock became extinct. So I have been on the lookout for some new eggs to hatch, so if anybody has some, let me know.

I am in the process of building my line of rhode island whites. Here is a pic of mom. a pullet that out of her a son of hers. I plan to place this cockerel on his mom. I was lucky enough to get two pairs from Ryon Carey and so one of those males will be place in with the pullets. My cull males are huge. At 26-28 weeks old they averaged a dressed weight of 5 pounds. I am really excited to keep working on this breed. I have only found 5 maybe 6 breeders of them so far.

These are not close to what I want them to look like so I hope to be there in two maybe three years with some real knockout winning birds.

Mom the one and only original female.

Pullet

Cockerel

Great to find this thread. I had a great flock of Rhode Island Whites. I rotated my stock and wound up with a rooster that wouldn't breed. By time I found another rooster, I had lost all but one hen of mine. The last hen stopped laying just as my new rooster got to breeding age. Then she died of old age. So my flock became extinct. So I have been on the lookout for some new eggs to hatch, so if anybody has some, let me know.

I raise Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites. I just love them. Here are a few pictures. The 1st picture is one of my grow out pens with many different youngsters I have hatched. The boy posing in the middle won a best of breed at a poultry show. This is him when he was younger. I do ship eggs but not until after the 1st of the year. Right now they are at the end of their molt and still not back to laying too well yet. Also the eggs aren't all that fertile right now with the molt. Most of their energy is in growing new feathers. I may have posted some of these pictures already.

This was my original male and two females that survived an owl that had killed the others in the same pen. One of the females comb was tattered by the owl attack. The male was bloody and really freaked out when I moved them to another pen. Now all of my pens are covered.

Pullets.

Cmom ... do you keep weights on your birds both live and dressed?

I keep pretty good track on all of my breeds on their:
Pelvic area
Keel Bone
Pelvic to Keel bone
Three or four times on weights...mainly culling/dressed weights and breeder pen weights.

Not really. The only birds I really concentrate on are birds first to be pleasing to my eye as I interpret the SOP's, but some clearly aren't going to be shown. I figure by around a year old they are in their prime. I keep track of the birds I'm most interested in. I keep the best.

The Rhode Island White is a moderately-sized, completely white bird with the males weighing 8 1/2 lbs. and females 6 1/2 lbs. They have long, broad, and deep bodies which are carried horizontally, giving them an oblong and brick-like appearance overall. Their breasts are deep, full, and well rounded. Their heads are fairly deep and are inclined to be flat on top rather than round. Though some single combed offspring do occasionally occur, the breed is has been standardized only with a rose shaped comb. Productive strains of this breed typically lay in the 240-250 eggs per year range. They are reputed to be splendid meat fowl and excellent layers of winter eggs. Rhode Island Whites are pleasant, easy going chickens and would make an enjoyable addition to any family farm. Today, the Rhode Island White chicken continues to have its followers.

I have been breeding Rhode Island Whites for several years. This past year for the first time, I had some single comb chicks hatch from my Rose Combs. I'm going to do an experiment. I do have a few single comb females right now in one of my general population pens. I usually put them with a Heritage SC RIR male to produce Red Sex-Links. I believe because the father is a Heritage RIR and pretty dark the pullets are a little darker brown still with white. The males all look like normal RSL males. I only have 4 SC RIW older females left. I want to breed them with the Single Comb that hatched out of my Rose Combs and see if any of the chick produced will have a Rose Comb because the fathers parents are both Rose Comb. I have a RC RIW male in the same pen that the SC RIW hens are in. Soon I'm going to put the SC RIW cockerel in that pen and take the RC RIW male out. I have way too many males right now. I may send some to freezer camp.

Last edited:
You might want to check this youtube clip out on selecting breeders. A lot of it I already did but it was really good to see someone in person do it. This is Jeanette Beranger from Livestock Conservancy doing the clip. Like I said so much better to see someone doing it than just reading it.

They are working with Delawares

Also Jim Atkins has a bunch of video clips on Heritage breeds and selecting them. I think there are like 25 of them. I found #13, 14 or 15 really interesting. He has a big workshop going on this spring in North Carolina I think it is.

This is #13 they are working with buckeyes

You will have to let me know what you think of the first one (Delaware).

Rob

I don't have RIW's but I'm popping in here because I'm annoyed and wanted to sound off to people who will understand.

I'm having an argument with a man on Facebook who has a flock of 20 single combed white hens he got from Ideal Hatchery that are supposed to be Rhode Island Whites.

I told him hatchery birds aren't the real thing. The real ones are very rare and have rose combs and are bigger.

He doesn't believe they are rare. He doesn't believe they are supposed to have rose combs. He fully believes he has the real thing.

Ugh. That's like the people who think easter eggers are Ameraucanas.

Back
Top Bottom