RI Red thin, lethargic, bleeding from vent

lyleg5895

Chirping
Jul 20, 2020
Towanda, IL
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
RI Red, 3-4 years old, very light and frail, definitely exhibiting weight loss.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargic, I found her laying on her side in the run. I thought she was dead at first. After separating her from the flock she has perked up a bit but this morning I noticed bleeding from her vent and the presence of maggots.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I just noticed this yesterday but given her state I imagine this has gone unnoticed for a while. Our Reds tend to stay in the coop away from the others.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No other birds seem affected. I checked our other Reds specifically and they all seem of healthy weight with no bleeding.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Bleeding around the vent, maggots present.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I'm unsure but my guess is she has a stuck egg.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She appears to have not been eating. We feed the flock free-choice of 18% chick feed, scratch grains, and oyster shell/grit and clean water, changed daily.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
She has not pooped since being separated as far as I can tell. She has eaten and drank some but not much.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
So far just separation and observation. I've never had this happen so I didn't want to make things worse trying to treat her.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Is she too far gone or can she be saved WITHOUT vet intervention? I don't want her to die but I can't justify throwing away money on a $2 bird.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I can try to snap a picture if needed.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
10'x25' coop with a 15'x30' run and some free ranging. Deep bedding (pine shavings) in the coop and straw in the run.

First off, I'm so sorry to hear about your bird, I'll give what small advice I have as I'm not an expert with chicken problems.
I've had similar issues with my birds in the past and we were always able to heal them when we acted quickly enough.
For us a stuck egg or egg bound chicken was never the issue, it was the maggots, because flies would lay more and make her bleed and the other chickens might pick on her. Anyways this is the only remedy I know of, but point is your bird needs care and won't heal on her own.
I would give your bird a warm bath (with the water height not past her chest, and don't let her head get wet) and try to drown as many of the maggots and clean the area (wear gloves of course) and than try to remove as many of the maggots as possible (we used tweezers) than spray her with some sort of wound disinfectant for animals, I believe we used this:
1623168321721.png

Repeat this process once or twice every day until the maggots are gone.
I would also keep her separated from the others or they might pick at her.
Also please dry her after her warm bath.
Good luck! I hope she gets better soon!

Back
Top Bottom