Ribh's D'Coopage

It's a bit difficult for me Bob as I know you and most here appreciate. My keeping circumstances are different and I think that my view of chickens is as well. Not to the extent to which I feel like an alien but I do tend to favour my view of chicken keeping and at times come accross as judgmental.
My veiw is on these three threads that I'm among friends and I'll be forgiven if I come accross badly.
Unfortunatley for you lot that means a lot more opinionated posts!:lol:
I love them. Don't ever stop. :thumbsup

I dunno - I think I would just give them grit and let them look for any teeny tiny pieces in it. If you can't get chick grit, could you get grit for a pet budgie or other small caged birt?
I would only give sand if it is really, really coarse - like you can see the grains. Yours are quite big now - I was talking when they were like a week old and small enough to settle down in the palm of my hand - yours look like they could pick up bigger bits of grit. I think they will select the right size for themselves as long as they have options.
Thanks RC. Will do. :thumbsup

Now it's chick grit. 🙄 I'm not sure I can get that on the island but it explains why they were pigging on the tub of sand I put in for dustbathing. I took it out. Guess it had better go back in.
Sand will tie them over. It will be better if you can get some shipped in. The granite is harder

No trouble with the little ones coming downstairs this morning. In the end I had left the door closed as it was blowing a gale all night & threatening rain. I'm an early riser so they didn't have to wait too long to be let out but they were all up & looking for me. :D I sorted their food before popping the door & everyone was out quick smart. They are starting to learn the routine.

View attachment 2438037
Gosh, they're a beautiful bunch!

I dunno - I think I would just give them grit and let them look for any teeny tiny pieces in it. If you can't get chick grit, could you get grit for a pet budgie or other small caged birt?
I would only give sand if it is really, really coarse - like you can see the grains. Yours are quite big now - I was talking when they were like a week old and small enough to settle down in the palm of my hand - yours look like they could pick up bigger bits of grit. I think they will select the right size for themselves as long as they have options.
Worst case, have your husband take a hammer to the grit you give the big girls to bust it up a little.

Back
Top Bottom