Ribh's D'Coopage

micstrachan

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Patricia's bum is bright red.

View attachment 2497414
I'm assuming that's the Uropygial gland. Everything round there is red & infected as well.
I am not happy. My girls are stressing me out just now. 😧
I have slathered her in Betadine & started her on Medh's antibiotics ~ which are a broad spectrum antibiotic.​

View attachment 2497415

The poor girl is sort of moulting just now too.

I'm hoping this is not another vet trip ~ which it will be if things don't improve drastically by next week.​
Oh, dear. That looks quite sore.

Ribh

Addict
Dec 18, 2018
Island, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Oh, dear. That looks quite sore.

I think it must have been. :( She seems more comfortable today & she is being brilliant about taking medication! She's one of my oldest girls too so one of my more stable flock members. She seems to know I'm trying to help & is co~operating beautifully. :)

micstrachan

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
I think it must have been. :( She seems more comfortable today & she is being brilliant about taking medication! She's one of my oldest girls too so one of my more stable flock members. She seems to know I'm trying to help & is co~operating beautifully. :)
I am so glad to hear that. It is amazing to me when they really seem to understand we are helping. I'm not sure why it amazes me; it makes sense. But I still enjoy the surprise!

Ribh

Addict
Dec 18, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
That does sound like a lot of work, and time-consuming.
I hope all your girls are restored to excellent health.
chickens are high maintenance for sure. :rolleyes:

They're good. I'm just treating for coccidiosis as it's been so wet all summer. I did a full on worming recently too & I have Patricia on antibiotics for an infection. @Shadrach had suggested the wormer I was using wasn't working as it should so I have had words with my vet & we are hitting the flock hard hoping to get a number of niggly little things under control. I'm also putting a supplement in my broody's feed...😁. Her sister is scoffing the leftovers.

Ribh

Addict
Dec 18, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
I was off the island early this morning on babysitting duties but I have now medicated more than 1/2 my flock for coccidiosis. Just the Littlest still to go. Nearly everyone has been really good about it. Even Morrigu, once I caught her, was co~operative. It's always a bit dodgy when I have to do stuff like this as I deliberately don't handle my girls all that much but all my older girls are reasonably friendly & we have a good relationship so they don't really fight me once I've grabbed them.

The Littlies came & foraged round my feet yesterday. 😁 That's a first & how I like my relationship with my chickens. I don't really want them in my lap but I love to have them come & hang out with me & have a bit of a chat!

Ribh

Addict
Dec 18, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
@BY Bob, @CrazyChookChookLady, @micstrachan ~ or anyone else with some experience of integrating younger pullets...

I am wanting to move my Littlies in with my bigger girls so thoughts & opinions on when would be the optimum time to do this. Do you think they are big enough now or should I wait a bit longer? And I still have them on chick starter. When do you think I should change them over to layer mash? The breeder said when they started laying but my POLs were already on Layer mash when I got them. I have no experience & am really clueless ~ plus worried about doing the wrong thing.

Top Bottom