MaryJanet

My chickens' vet is brilliant.
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2018
Adelaide, South Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Now here's a strange thing.
The marans hens were not broody self sufficient. Even Ruffles as a second generation hen needed taking off her nest for the fist few days. She got the hang of it quite quickly but the original Marans were all likely to lose condition.
The original bantams which were not pure breeds (?) got off the nests every day and some would spend easily an hour, weather dependent, on eating bathing and letting the rest of their tribe know they were broody.
The mixes, Marans and Bantams are also broody self sufficient.
The next generations all get off their nests and maintain body condition to the point that some put on weight while sitting.
Wow! Not one of the three broodies here gained weight! Even though Mary and Peggy are diligent eaters while brooding, they lost weight. I was afraid Ivy would fade away without encouragement.

drstratton

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern WA - USA
My Coop
My Coop
Me too! Sydney's hatch has given me confidence to try a hen hatch one day.
I will be doing that next year, I'm going to breed my new Cream Legbars with one of my Marans roosters.
I might be giving my new chicks to one of my broody girls if she's still broody when I get them.

CrazyChookChookLady

Free Ranging
Jan 24, 2019
New Bloomfield, PA
The Pretties continue to think they are wild birds...
20210121_183650.jpg

At least now they roosting right above their coop. It's so easy to pick them each off the branch and place them in the coop.❤

MaryJanet

My chickens' vet is brilliant.
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2018
Adelaide, South Australia
My Coop
My Coop

BY Bob

Proprietor, Fluffy Butt Acres
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 1, 2016