Ribh's D'Coopage

O
He says it's not his field. :lol:

Culture informs history. For example The Romans failed to understand Iceni women could inherit. They failed to understand a ruler became like a god or goddess & could be a priest or priestess as well. Hence when they attacked Boudicca they attacked a whole culture & set of beliefs & they reaped a whirlwind.

It's why I dislike papers like this. Everything becomes super abstract & fails to take into account we're discussing real people with thoughts & emotions & belief systems that inform their actions that become our history & culture. We could go back on forth with this for forever. I prefer to deal with the known facts, such as they are ~ but as I was saying to @BY Bob the other day, I'm a non~ sequential learner. I'm happy to work with a jig~saw of information & slot facts in as they arrive & change things if necessary. The fact is people, for whatever reasons, do identify with regions, ethnicities, peoples. That may be right or wrong but it's what people do. Bit like chickens really. Like calls to like. :lau
I was thinking maybe both forms of identity narrative will coexist in the future. The more cosmopolitan kids in today's schools have post-ethnic attitudes while learning about and sometimes honouring the ethnic narratives of their great great great grandparents.

If your half brother is an historian he should know better! lol Now thems some fighting words. 🙄 I'm sorry, Shad, but I'd want much better documentation than this article. Where are his notes & sources? Where's the archaeological data? This is more a philosophical treatise than a serious academic look @ the evolution of European nations & completely ignores what was happening across Asia that started pushing peoples westward. It takes no account of climatic conditions ~ always a factor to be considered~ or the fact Europe was trading all the way down into the middle eastern countries as far back as the Galatians & Russos.

Where one lives in part determines how communities evolve. The Vikings are a classic example. When one is hemmed in by snow 9 months of the year with a short growing season & incredibly difficult terrain then raiding by sea becomes a natural alternative. :lol:

My passport says I'm Australian but the majority of my extended family still lives in Scotland. I'm not so sure it's national identity so much ~ though as an Australian we can be a little funny that way as so many of us began uprooted by force from family & home~ as family identity & by extension community. When I was a child people still talked of England as *Home* even though their family had been here for generations & in my own family it was perfectly obvious whatever his passport said my Poppy was pure Scots. He never lost that accent.
I'm so glad you read it. I now feel no need to do so. Thanks for saving me the time! :thumbsup

OK, I probably need to read it again but I think he reads different history than I do & some of his sources are really suspect: Tacitus & Herodotus, for starters, who's information must always be taken with a generous pinch of salt & preferably backed with archaeological evidence. Neither visited some of the places they talk about & their information is 2nd, 3rd or more hand.

I didn't think anyone believed the Roman Empire was destroyed by marauding bands of barbarians. Multiple factors contributed to Rome's downfall: economic, political, social & military. To say anything else really is nonsense ~ but Roman history is really not my area. I think they were a horrible people. They built everything in straight lines! :lol:

But of course, if you want to push the idea that there are no ideological, ethnic, religious etc differences between various groups of European peoples this is exactly the sort of argument to make & that makes it highly suspect in my view. To deny differences is to try & make everybody the same & that just isn't true.

So go ahead. Shoot me down. 😳
OK, I probably need to read it again but I think he reads different history than I do & some of his sources are really suspect: Tacitus & Herodotus, for starters, who's information must always be taken with a generous pinch of salt & preferably backed with archaeological evidence. Neither visited some of the places they talk about & their information is 2nd, 3rd or more hand.

I didn't think anyone believed the Roman Empire was destroyed by marauding bands of barbarians. Multiple factors contributed to Rome's downfall: economic, political, social & military. To say anything else really is nonsense ~ but Roman history is really not my area. I think they were a horrible people. They built everything in straight lines! :lol:

But of course, if you want to push the idea that there are no ideological, ethnic, religious etc differences between various groups of European peoples this is exactly the sort of argument to make & that makes it highly suspect in my view. To deny differences is to try & make everybody the same & that just isn't true.

So go ahead. Shoot me down. 😳
I noticed Herodotus as a source when I scanned it earlier and knew we were heading for trouble! I still haven’t summoned up the energy to read it properly.

O

I was thinking maybe both forms of identity narrative will coexist in the future. The more cosmopolitan kids in today's schools have post-ethnic attitudes while learning about and sometimes honouring the ethnic narratives of their great great great grandparents.
That is certainly an appealing vision of the next generation.

I noticed Herodotus as a source when I scanned it earlier and knew we were heading for trouble! I still haven’t summoned up the energy to read it properly.
I would like to know your thoughts if you could read it. I know absolutely nothing about this topic.

O

You kidding? Kids these days think Plato is a toy for grammar school !

Back
Top Bottom