Ribh's D'Coopage

drstratton

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern WA - USA
My Coop
My Coop
It's just time, which is always in short supply round here. :) When our weather's good I try to spend a lot of time with the flock but we have had a very damp summer & our weather is already starting to turn.
I haven't been out with them as much as I would like either, but today was a perfect day to hang out with them...it was 60 degree's, which was warmer than forecast! I'm looking forward to spring!

drstratton

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern WA - USA
My Coop
My Coop
Some random photos:
Regan finds the fencing no impediment to either perching or exploring.. 🙄
View attachment 2538463
I have no idea what this is. I found it drowning in one of the ponds & thought it interesting. Sorta like a cross between a moth & a dragonfly...🤔
View attachment 2538465

And our tadpoles are morphing into actual frogs. 😁
I spotted this tiny fellow taking a breather on a lily pad yesterday.
View attachment 2538473
What fun & lovely pictures!

drstratton

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern WA - USA
My Coop
My Coop
Roosting gets madder & madder.
Ceres is often 1st. She knows what she wants & being 1st simply takes it. Portia, being bigger, can bully her along the roost. It starts getting iffy from that point on. I'm pretty sure Desdemona is right @ the bottom of this lots pecking order & being both a Japanese & a bantam often has trouble with the roosts, never mind getting a position she wants so I often lift her up onto a roost & let her sort it out from there ~ only tonight she decided she was perfectly happy roosting on my hand & was not prepared to budge @ any price. Titania decided Desdemona was onto a good thing & perched on my outstretched arm. Regan joined her. I had 3 mad chooks perched along my arm preparing to roost there for the night & no~one wanted to move!!!​

View attachment 2538990
One by one I encouraged them onto the 2nd roost. Titania got right under Regan then popped up through her feathers. Eventually she took her Big Girl position between Regan & Gloriana, but they were bunched up tight & cuddly while the Big Girls were comfortably spread along the top roost & some were already out for the night.​
View attachment 2538991
I love roosting time at your place...they are all so beautiful!

I'm so glad that your girls were all safe after the attack from whatever bird it was!

Ribh

Addict
Dec 18, 2018
Island, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Titania leading the way.
Ive got it right, havent I, mum?
Everyone was reallylate roosting tonivht. After a scorcher of a day the cool sea breeze was too nice to resist.
20210223_175216.jpg

BY Bob

Proprietor, Fluffy Butt Acres
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 1, 2016
Hershey, PA
My Coop
My Coop
I haven't been out with them as much as I would like either, but today was a perfect day to hang out with them...it was 60 degree's, which was warmer than forecast! I'm looking forward to spring!
It's coming. Spring is coming. I can feel it.

BY Bob

Proprietor, Fluffy Butt Acres
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 1, 2016
Hershey, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Titania leading the way.
Ive got it right, havent I, mum?
Everyone was reallylate roosting tonivht. After a scorcher of a day the cool sea breeze was too nice to resist.
View attachment 2541812
I love how she is checking in with you to make sure she has it right. Adorable. 🥰

rjohns39

Wrangler
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Aug 20, 2015
Smith County, TN
Good evening folks :frow

I've heard differing reports about diatomaceous earth. Some people swear by it, others swear it's a waste of money. In winter all our fire ash goes in the runs & coop. The girls love it & I find it helps with odours too.
DE is a hotly debated topic. There seems to be two camps: 1) It's wonderful for pest control; 2) It doesn't do anything for pest control and bad for the chickens lungs.

I'm not in either camp. I don't use it, but that's just me. A LOT of feed companies add it to their feed. Not for parasite control within the chicken but to deal with weevils in the feed itself. Once DE get's wet (i.e., inside a chicken) it loses its ability to kill parasites. I'm also not convinced (haven't found any evidence) that it's harmful to their lungs.

None the less, if you discuss it out in the open world. It's kind of like discussing politics or religion. I would not be surprised if someone who doesn't hang out here, finds their way here to beat me about the head and shoulders for what I've presented.

Top Bottom