Ribh's D'Coopage

The man keeps talking about breeding but i'm not keen because I really don't want to deal with a rooster. I enjoy the relationship I have with my ladies & know a rooster would change that in fundamental ways.
Yes, it definitely will! We've always had roosters. Some days I would love to have a flock without any. I would like to have a closer relationship with my girls...the roos make that pretty much impossible!

And because it is Soda's week this week, here she is as a young layer before she got so big & round. Yep. All my girls have always had a propensity for sharing a single nesting box. 🙄 Soda is the younger hen on the left.
1628113139524.png

I love big, placid hens! I know it's not your style Ribh, but I think they're worth their weight in gold.
Oh, I like placid. I do worry about all that extra weight she's carrying. I'm sure It can't be good for her heart but I know she's not getting lots of the wrong sort of treats so it's just the way she's made.

Oh, I like placid. I do worry about all that extra weight she's carrying. I'm sure It can't be good for her heart but I know she's not getting lots of the wrong sort of treats so it's just the way she's made.
Same with Mary. I think maybe they puff out the feathers in winter too.

Same with Mary. I think maybe they puff out the feathers in winter too.
Oh, she's a heavy girl! I worry any time I actually have to handle her! She weighs about the same as a toddler. Her sister, Hepzibah, is less than 1/2 her size & doesn't weigh anywhere near as heavy.

Oh, she's a heavy girl! I worry any time I actually have to handle her! She weighs about the same as a toddler. Her sister, Hepzibah, is less than 1/2 her size & doesn't weigh anywhere near as heavy.
That's how my Goldie is. I'm actually having trouble with Goldie breaking eggs in the nest box. I think I'm going to try and fashion a roll away nest box.

That's how my Goldie is. I'm actually having trouble with Goldie breaking eggs in the nest box. I think I'm going to try and fashion a roll away nest box.
Wow! I collect eggs all day, partly because in summer I have broodies to discourage! :lol: But also Lavender was a klutz & while she is no longer with us I've just decided removing eggs as soon as possible is the best idea. I also have 2 frizzle Wyandottes coming along & everything says they are going to be huge girls!:eek:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom