Ribh's D'Coopage

P1110268.JPG

It has taken a couple of weeks but everything seems to be settling down. For the most part the new girls aren't dominant sorts ~ Pebbles being the exception. That is one feisty little chookie! This morning everyone was outside in the sunshine. No~one was bailed up in the coop. We are getting there.

I broke a cardinal rule of mine with this lot of chooks & I am sorry for it; I always try to @ least buy in pairs so each hen starts with a similar partner. I didn't worry about Pebbles & Patricia. I already had BAs & BRs & they have fairly dominant personalities as a breed. Both girls have fitted in without major dramas. Pebbles even lays late afternoon like my other BAs. Lavender, as a lone Frizzle, has struggled more but she is a big girl & very, very placid so even though she's @ the bottom of the pecking order she is doing ok. She's not a big eater & has all that lovely bulk to throw around on the rare occasions she asserts herself.

P1110269.JPG

The salmon favorelle Xs have settled into the middle order & are starting to show themselves as quirky as their breed description says they are. Given time & peace I think they will be quite the clowns. The Campines are a law unto themselves. They really don't like me. They aren't a people breed & they are incredibly flighty but very, very pretty & do things their way. Which leaves Lottie. *sigh* I wanted 2 but a 2nd wasn't available & I think I will have to go back ~ which means another 2 birds, not just one. She is almost always on her own on the edge of the flock. No~one is being mean to her but she is a Wyandotte bantam & Wyandottes only really like other Wyandottes ~ which I should have known but didn't & now I have this sweet little chickabee, friendless within the larger flock. At the time I thought 2 bantams would team up together but Pebbles has run with the big girls from the moment she got here & Lottie is very much on her own. She may work something out by spring, the earliest I would consider going for more birds, as Lavender is her roost mate & they sort of hang together as they are the 2 right @ the bottom of the totem pole. What do you all think? Will this too resolve itself?

I don't have any experience with wyandottes, so I'll excuse myself from holding an opinion.

I hope things work out for little Lottie and I'm delighted the faverolles crosses have found their comfort zone :)
All good. :) Lottie is holding her own or I'd be really concerned. How is Sandy doing?

Well, I did not know this about Wyandottes.. but I did know that they can be real stinkers! I have one and she’s a witch! She does not have another Wyandotte to befriend so she hates everyone... she is not top gal though.. I may put her in the mini coop when I integrate cuz not sure how she is gonna do...
Your gal sounds sweet.. I would maybe wait it out a bit and see how things go.. especially since she is not being picked on...

Oh, and now my BO is broody :barnie... and when I take her out of the nest and put her down that meanie Kathryn (GLW) attacks her when she is trying to eat or drink:tongue... I was in there fightin!!!

Well, I did not know this about Wyandottes.. but I did know that they can be real stinkers! I have one and she’s a witch! She does not have another Wyandotte to befriend so she hates everyone... she is not top gal though.. I may put her in the mini coop when I integrate cuz not sure how she is gonna do...
Your gal sounds sweet.. I would maybe wait it out a bit and see how things go.. especially since she is not being picked on...

Oh, and now my BO is broody :barnie... and when I take her out of the nest and put her down that meanie Kathryn (GLW) attacks her when she is trying to eat or drink:tongue... I was in there fightin!!!
Well, I was just browsing about breeds ~ mostly because Favorelles of any description were not on my wish list & I know almost nothing about them & now I have 2! *sigh* I'm daft. Anyway I also looked @ wyandottes seeing as I was there...& Lottie is just incredibly sweet: easy to handle, doesn't really sweat it being picked up, calm & laid back mostly, but they don't really like other chickens ~ which may explain your Kathryn. :)

So today I integrated most of the girls into the big run ~ not the Campines, who weren't happy! But as you can see they are fliers & the other run isn't roofed. I'd never get them back if they went over the top. They're quite wild.
They look great! Why didn’t you let little Lottie out with them?
Kathryn is and always has been very no touch.. she runs from me.. but if I sit in there she does like to come up close to me so long as I do not touch...

The only thing missing from your video is that you weren’t talking... would have LOVED to hear that awesome Aussie accent :D

They look great! Why didn’t you let little Lottie out with them?
Kathryn is and always has been very no touch.. she runs from me.. but if I sit in there she does like to come up close to me so long as I do not touch...

The only thing missing from your video is that you weren’t talking... would have LOVED to hear that awesome Aussie accent :D
The awesome Aussie accent can be arranged. :D This run really isn't secure. I let the heavier birds out because they're not really fliers [though the BAs chased Suyin & Luna over the top *sigh*]. The Favorelles were just hanging round the outside & easy to round up & put back over but Lottie could go under & get lost in the scrub. Harder for the big birds.

The awesome Aussie accent can be arranged. :D This run really isn't secure. I let the heavier birds out because they're not really fliers [though the BAs chased Suyin & Luna over the top *sigh*]. The Favorelles were just hanging round the outside & easy to round up & put back over but Lottie could go under & get lost in the scrub. Harder for the big birds.
Oh okay, gotcha!

It so funny.. cuz you can really hear it in the way yall write too :lol:
When I am with the gals.. I have a lot to say!
The coop is not far from my moms house and she could hear me the other day.. later she goes “who were you talking to?” I say “the chickens!” She says “you have got to be kidding!?” :gig... she was certain that I was talking with someone ... as much as I was carrying on:lau.... I’m a bit cooky :plbb

Back
Top Bottom