Ribh's D'Coopage

If you've been following along you know Ha'penny is my chronic fence hopper. She knows she's not supposed to but she does it any way.

Unfortunately for my girls their pen & run was built with Queensland's summer heat & humidity in mind rather than cold, dank winter days, which means, as the days shorten & the sun's angle dips, there aren't all that many really warm sunny spots in either the coop or the run. This will change once the run extension is finished & properly installed but for now it is very cool & shady.

We all know how much our girls love a good sun bathe so I wasn't surprised to find Ha'penny had hopped the fence & dug herself a lovely big hole to wallow in in the sunniest spot she could find ~ which just happens to be where the new extension will go. I was busy @ the time & she looked so happy & content I thought I'd let her be & pop her back over the fence a bit later on.

You know how it goes. I got distracted & it was some time before I remembered Ha'penny was loose somewhere in our yard. I had a good look round. No Ha'penny. Then I noticed a flash of copper in the run. The clever girl had taken herself home once she was done sun bathing! Love my girl! 😍
View attachment 2071402
What a smart wonderful little girl! Perhaps she has earned more trust? Maybe?

Here's the babies!!! They're 5 weeks old now.

20200401_140200.jpg

Sunny is marked with the red arrow. I'm leaning towards boy. Diamond is the blue arrow and is definitely a boy. Bob is the yellow arrow and is a girl. Lightning is the pink arrow and also a girl.

My silkie roo is sick. It's respiratory. I didn't hear him crow this morning and when I checked on him he fluffed up and sneezing. No discharge from any where so I gave him nutri-drench vitamins. He's I'm my spare dog kennel with food and water. He is still eating and drinking which is good.

20200401_162556.jpg

And more babies pictures just because...

20200401_131521.jpg 20200401_131453.jpg 20200401_131421.jpg 20200401_131352.jpg

I hope every body is doing well!! We're hanging in there, we've been doing a lot of the chores we've been putting off.

View attachment 2071523

Sunny is marked with the red arrow. I'm leaning towards boy. Diamond is the blue arrow and is definitely a boy. Bob is the yellow arrow and is a girl. Lightning is the pink arrow and also a girl.

My silkie roo is sick. It's respiratory. I didn't hear him crow this morning and when I checked on him he fluffed up and sneezing. No discharge from any where so I gave him nutri-drench vitamins. He's I'm my spare dog kennel with food and water. He is still eating and drinking which is good.

View attachment 2071552

View attachment 2071621View attachment 2071622View attachment 2071623View attachment 2071634

I hope every body is doing well!! We're hanging in there, we've been doing a lot of the chores we've been putting off.
They are so adorable!! I waaant some!! Is it just me or is Diamonds feathers color/pattern a bit different from the two girls? Slightly different cuz boy and girl :confused:

They are so adorable!! I waaant some!! Is it just me or is Diamonds feathers color/pattern a bit different from the two girls? Slightly different cuz boy and girl :confused:
[/QUOTED

Yep!! The boys have more white and the girls have more black. That's another reason why I love my barred rocks, they are pretty easy to sex.

View attachment 2071523

View attachment 2071552

View attachment 2071621View attachment 2071622View attachment 2071623View attachment 2071634

I just love those babies! They are adorable.

I'm sorry about the silkie roo. Hopefully things will dry out around here for him. :hugs :hugs

I find this type of thing a lot. I see one of them doing something I think is high risk without taking in all the information.
I found Fudge in the middle of the parking area the other day taking a dust bath. She's right out in the open and the rest of the tribe are under the bush near my house. I was just about to hustle her away when I see one of the dogs next to a car not more than 2 metres away.
One of the dogs is getting quite good at watching the chickens now.
Yeah, I don't really know about dogs *says the woman who used a dalmation to herd children*. I notice more Americans than anyone else seems to use them as guards, even for chickens, but given the prey drive I'm not sure how that works out in reality. I'm not sure I'd ever really trust a dog.

View attachment 2071523

View attachment 2071552

They grow so fast! Beautiful!

If you've been following along you know Ha'penny is my chronic fence hopper. She knows she's not supposed to but she does it any way.

Unfortunately for my girls their pen & run was built with Queensland's summer heat & humidity in mind rather than cold, dank winter days, which means, as the days shorten & the sun's angle dips, there aren't all that many really warm sunny spots in either the coop or the run. This will change once the run extension is finished & properly installed but for now it is very cool & shady.

We all know how much our girls love a good sun bathe so I wasn't surprised to find Ha'penny had hopped the fence & dug herself a lovely big hole to wallow in in the sunniest spot she could find ~ which just happens to be where the new extension will go. I was busy @ the time & she looked so happy & content I thought I'd let her be & pop her back over the fence a bit later on.

You know how it goes. I got distracted & it was some time before I remembered Ha'penny was loose somewhere in our yard. I had a good look round. No Ha'penny. Then I noticed a flash of copper in the run. The clever girl had taken herself home once she was done sun bathing! Love my girl! 😍
View attachment 2071402
Such a clever girl! And very thoughtful of her to road test the run extension site for you! ;)

View attachment 2071523

View attachment 2071552

So Sweet!

Poor roo. I hope he feels better soon with your TLC

Back
Top Bottom