Ribh's D'Coopage

Oil drums I believe are the DIY scalder of choice. I wouldn’t think a 40 gallon would be big enough, unless you quarter it first, but then you would be exposing some of the meat to the scalding water... let me know how it works out. Are you hoisting it with a tractor?

@Ribh sorry for all the meat talk... if you would like we can move that over to my thread or a conversation instead. Not trying to be disrespectful or gross anyone out... it’s just the chatty life conversations we’ve all gotten so absorbed by here.
Well it took about 50 gallons of water. I use my stock pot to heat the water (40 gallon capacity), lined the bed of the gator with a tarp and then pour with 5 gallon buckets. It worked remarkably well, but had to take a break while heating the last 10 gallons.

This was Hinge today. You wouldn't believe it was the same hen.
She gets another clean and inspection later and I'll try to get better pictures.
Hinge is on the far right.
P1262189.JPG

Oil drums I believe are the DIY scalder of choice. I wouldn’t think a 40 gallon would be big enough, unless you quarter it first, but then you would be exposing some of the meat to the scalding water... let me know how it works out. Are you hoisting it with a tractor?

@Ribh sorry for all the meat talk... if you would like we can move that over to my thread or a conversation instead. Not trying to be disrespectful or gross anyone out... it’s just the chatty life conversations we’ve all gotten so absorbed by here.
You're all good, @Kris5902 . I wouldn't want to squelch the conversation & I don't have to read.

She gets another clean and inspection later and I'll try to get better pictures.
View attachment 2011739
Looking good. This is exactly what my girls like to do too. I like the boulders. Now, where can I find me some here...?

View attachment 2011739

You would think that nothing had happened to her! :thumbsup

Why is it that some will die of shock and others with much worse accidents or injuries carry on as if nothing happened?

You would think that nothing had happened to her! :thumbsup

Why is it that some will die of shock and others with much worse accidents or injuries carry on as if nothing happened?
I believe some of it is determined by personality, much like with humans.
I think the overall health of the chicken also plays a part.
Sometimes the subsequent events after the injury or attack can stress the chicken even further. You can imagine a chicken that has just been subjected to a natural trauma does not react well if it is immediately grabbed by yet another predator (human) prodded and poked about and then forced to undergo various 'treatments'.

Back
Top Bottom