Ribh's D'Coopage

Medh has started to lay.

All my other white layers lay a decent sized egg now so this one must be hers.

63697f2a-402f-491f-b5da-fc628cade657.jpg

I left changing Cillin's bandage until after dark tonight. Took him off the roost and brought him into the house. He isn't over keen on the whole business but has put up with it with the minimum of fidgeting. The whole procedure normally takes place without and verbal communication from Cillin. He'll move and fidget and even gently peck if I cause him discomfort, but not a word gets spoken except by me. I chat to him as I do what needs to be done.
There is a sound all the roosters make to their hens. It's a friendly sound. It's three calls, two short and one longer; bawb, bawb, baaawwwb, with the final bawb tailing away and going deeper in the process.
It's a very distinctive call and I've heard it a lot when roosters are being especially nice to their hens.
I stood Cillin on the chair tonight and as I started to take off the old bandage he made this call and very gently pecked my hand. It almost brought tears to my eyes. It's better than any allowing to be picked up, or sitting on my lap, or being very gentle when taking food, or even having food dropped for me. It is the ultimate in demonstration of affection that I know of in chickens.
I'll go to bed a very happy man.:love
Oh. Wow! How special is that! 😍 That tells me what a nice man you really are. ;):p And I'm guessing if anyone gets eaten it won't be Cillin!

I left changing Cillin's bandage until after dark tonight. Took him off the roost and brought him into the house. He isn't over keen on the whole business but has put up with it with the minimum of fidgeting. The whole procedure normally takes place without and verbal communication from Cillin. He'll move and fidget and even gently peck if I cause him discomfort, but not a word gets spoken except by me. I chat to him as I do what needs to be done.
There is a sound all the roosters make to their hens. It's a friendly sound. It's three calls, two short and one longer; bawb, bawb, baaawwwb, with the final bawb tailing away and going deeper in the process.
It's a very distinctive call and I've heard it a lot when roosters are being especially nice to their hens.
I stood Cillin on the chair tonight and as I started to take off the old bandage he made this call and very gently pecked my hand. It almost brought tears to my eyes. It's better than any allowing to be picked up, or sitting on my lap, or being very gentle when taking food, or even having food dropped for me. It is the ultimate in demonstration of affection that I know of in chickens.
What an amazing moment! I think he knows you're helping him.

I remember you once said you prefer little eggs, so it's good to see another hen laying them for you :)
I do. Medh's eggs will get bigger but all my Campines lay a medium sized egg so in time I expect hers will be slightly larger too. I don't know what my wyandottes are doing. They've looked ready to lay for ages but not a small brown egg have I seen! :(

I do. Medh's eggs will get bigger but all my Campines lay a medium sized egg so in time I expect hers will be slightly larger too. I don't know what my wyandottes are doing. They've looked ready to lay for ages but not a small brown egg have I seen! :(
Hmmm I wonder if wyandottes usually start late.

You have earned their trust and they care for you. It is the ultimate reward and you richly deserve it. I know that you will treasure that moment the rest of your life. I'm so happy for you. :love

The Wyandottes are taking the winter off like every smart hen does.

Don't pressure those poor ladies. I'm sure the peer pressure from the other hens is more than enough. All the giggling behind their backs. Snickers when they walk by. I pity them. The poor girls needs hugs not lectures about egg production. :hugs :hugs:hugs

You have earned their trust and they care for you. It is the ultimate reward and you richly deserve it. I know that you will treasure that moment the rest of your life. I'm so happy for you. :love
I will Bob. It is so unusual. I hear Cillin make that call to Fat Bird when he knows he's been neglecting her and wants to make up for it. Harold used to make it to Blue Spot after they had had a fight. Notch makes it to Myth when Donk and Knock have been horrid to her.
I had until now put this call down to chicken to chicken language and not for humans.
When roosters are trying to get hens to accept them into the coop and tribe they make a version of this sound as they stand at the door waiting to be told they can come in.
Fat Bird burbles away to me when I give her her morning carry which is nice, but not really quite as special.

Back
Top Bottom