Ribh's D'Coopage

After several days of torrential downpour the pen run was a slimy quagmire & it was all definitely on the woofy side so it was time for a clean. Not that the litter goes anywhere except the pen for the girls to scratch up but as they turn it over & it soaks up the excess water it doesn't smell. I locked the girls out as no~one is happy getting accidentally stood on & 10 minutes later it was a different world. I raked the sand clean while I was @ it. I've decided they like how cool it is on their bellies in the hot weather. Not sure what the attraction is in winter but they do love huddling under there, dust bathing under there & generally pow~wowing.

With the days getting longer egg production is going up. I'm having to give most of the eggs away as even with extras in the house we just aren't going through that many.

After several days of torrential downpour the pen run was a slimy quagmire & it was all definitely on the woofy side so it was time for a clean. Not that the litter goes anywhere except the pen for the girls to scratch up but as they turn it over & it soaks up the excess water it doesn't smell. I locked the girls out as no~one is happy getting accidentally stood on & 10 minutes later it was a different world. I raked the sand clean while I was @ it. I've decided they like how cool it is on their bellies in the hot weather. Not sure what the attraction is in winter but they do love huddling under there, dust bathing under there & generally pow~wowing.

With the days getting longer egg production is going up. I'm having to give most of the eggs away as even with extras in the house we just aren't going through that many.
I chucking so many eggs away it's criminal.:( Almost impossible to give them away to local people because they have chickens too. Can't give them to the shops without bits of paper and can't give them to the poor because of the risk of bad eggs. I cook some up to feed the tribes with but it's an extra bit of cooking and I do enough of that already.

I chucking so many eggs away it's criminal.:( Almost impossible to give them away to local people because they have chickens too. Can't give them to the shops without bits of paper and can't give them to the poor because of the risk of bad eggs. I cook some up to feed the tribes with but it's an extra bit of cooking and I do enough of that already.
I can give mine away & do. I have 3 houses who use a lot of eggs & love the home grown sort, plus a couple of others I can try if the overflow becomes too great. It's why I don't mind having bantams [ who aren't super great layers] & don't mind if someone takes a break over summer. What does worry me is the size some of the eggs are getting to. :( I had a massive double yolker last week & Ha'penny is laying a really large egg for her size. Her sisters lay a respectable small to medium sized egg.

I can give mine away & do. I have 3 houses who use a lot of eggs & love the home grown sort, plus a couple of others I can try if the overflow becomes too great. It's why I don't mind having bantams [ who aren't super great layers] & don't mind if someone takes a break over summer. What does worry me is the size some of the eggs are getting to. :( I had a massive double yolker last week & Ha'penny is laying a really large egg for her size. Her sisters lay a respectable small to medium sized egg.
Ivy and Peggy are providing just enough eggs for weekend breakfasts and for giving away a half dozen whenever I visit someone.

Back
Top Bottom