Ribh's D'Coopage

They do love it, but it's not the one that most of my photos are taken under. This one is outside their run. The one they love is in their run. It is an Abutilon, also known as a Chinese Lantern or Indian Mallow. It is a lot more "open" than the Japanese Jasmine.

View attachment 2374974
(if you look carefully you can see a white chicken under it. Who could it possibly be? 🤔 😜)
You mean this beautiful young lady?

20201016_154711.jpg

I could do with some shrub advice for the chickens. I want to plant some shrubbery just outside the Palace gates so that when I let them out to wander around they are not right out in an open field. As an added benefit some shrubs in that area would help mask some big manholes for the septic system.
I too love the cave-like shrubs we see at your place and would also like some with low but sturdy branches they can jump up on if they choose.
Looking for ideas and inspiration of what to plant in spring. Of course I would prefer NE US natives so I may be asking in the wrong place!
Mine love the butterfly bushes. They are not green year round but you get magnificent butterflies and bees. They come in many sizes and colors. Ive got a 10 foot white one and a 6 foot purple one but they come in even smaller varieties.

I could do with some shrub advice for the chickens. I want to plant some shrubbery just outside the Palace gates so that when I let them out to wander around they are not right out in an open field. As an added benefit some shrubs in that area would help mask some big manholes for the septic system.
I too love the cave-like shrubs we see at your place and would also like some with low but sturdy branches they can jump up on if they choose.
Looking for ideas and inspiration of what to plant in spring. Of course I would prefer NE US natives so I may be asking in the wrong place!
I really don't know enough about plants and under what conditions they thrive to be of any help I'm sorry to write.
@DobieLover has a great chicken shelter bush in her garden. It's close to ideal but I don't know what it is. It may be a really slow grower. She's not too far from you as distances in the US go so maybe it would grow where you are.
Unfortunately the best options are not realized until it's too late by people building coops and runs and that is; leave everything you possibly can alone and fence around it.
I've seen coop projects where there were some great plants and shrubs, even trees and they just leveled the place and now it's a bare patch of mud.

I really don't know enough about plants and under what conditions they thrive to be of any help I'm sorry to write.
@DobieLover has a great chicken shelter bush in her garden. It's close to ideal but I don't know what it is. It may be a really slow grower. She's not too far from you as distances in the US go so maybe it would grow where you are.
Unfortunately the best options are not realized until it's too late by people building coops and runs and that is; leave everything you possibly can alone and fence around it.
I've seen coop projects where there were some great plants and shrubs, even trees and they just leveled the place and now it's a bare patch of mud.
It's an old style quince. It was on the property when we bought it.
20180517_112242.jpg
IMG_20200507_141407936.jpg

They do love it, but it's not the one that most of my photos are taken under. This one is outside their run. The one they love is in their run. It is an Abutilon, also known as a Chinese Lantern or Indian Mallow. It is a lot more "open" than the Japanese Jasmine.

View attachment 2374974
(if you look carefully you can see a white chicken under it. Who could it possibly be? 🤔 😜)

It took a closer look but I found her. :love

Back
Top Bottom