Ribh's D'Coopage

I can't find the quote. Not in the book I thought it was in. Maybe sprat ~ which is certainly what I was referring to. I hate when I do that. :( Ah well. We've all learnt something... :lau
Oh yes - sprat is a fish. And I am not totally sure but I think whitebait is either the same as sprat or possibly whitebait is a small sprat. Or is it the other way around. :idunno

:idunno I'm very ignorant of most things fishy.
Me too - somehow this tapped into some long-buried memory of mine!
Okay...I let my fingers do the walking and this is what I came up with!!! You were right RoyalChick! :)

Whitebait is the traditional term for small sprat and herring. ... Sprat belongs to the Clupeidae family, which includes herrings, sprat, sardines and all have a similar texture and flavour. The main difference between them all is size.

Okay...I let my fingers do the walking and this is what I came up with!!! You were right RoyalChick! :)

Whitebait is the traditional term for small sprat and herring. ... Sprat belongs to the Clupeidae family, which includes herrings, sprat, sardines and all have a similar texture and flavour. The main difference between them all is size.
Wow - I would never in a million years guessed they were anything to do with herrings. I feel like I knew something and learned something. Very satisfying. Thank you!

Golly how confusing! And now I feel guilty for being partial to whitebait - I never realized I was killing off future herrings. Mind you, I have only eaten it a half dozen times in my life so probably not too bad.
I thought it was interesting that it could mean many different fish species...but there are actually Sprat, which is what they say should be used! The whitefish you ate could have been Sprat and not Herring!

On Sundays I get the boys [aka the cats] a special tin of cat food. I've never bought the whitebait because I've never known what it was. Now I can. :D

Back
Top Bottom