Ribh's D'Coopage

I went out after the storm had passed to check all my girls were roosting. Wrold wasn't. 🙄

I went & grabbed her & put her up on a roost & suddenly noticed she has denuded herself of all her underneath feathers. As I peered closer I noticed a white blob under her wattle... :sick
Another tick! I couldn't leave her like that overnight so in she came & didn't she make a kerfuffle! She really doesn't like the cats! Squwark! Squwark! She was loud. She was noisy. She was voluble. Her head kept swinging round to keep Kirby in sight while she screamed @ him, @ me, @ the complete indignity of the whole affair ~ all while I was trying to slather her with black ointment & hold onto her long enough for it to work.

View attachment 2390143
And the worst of it ~ not 1 but 2 ticks embedded under her wattle: a paralysis tick & a bush tick. I always check to make sure I've got the head so when I could still see something I wielded my tweezers yet again ~ & again.
She is slathered in black ointment just in case I missed any bits & back on a roost! So offended she scrambled onto the top roost! Gosh how I hate ticks!​
I hate ticks too. What is black ointment? Does it smother ticks? I need that!

I hate ticks too. What is black ointment? Does it smother ticks? I need that!
Black ointment is a drawing ointment. Its proper name is Ichthammol ointment. It will smother ticks but it will also draw out anything that breaks off, like the head. Good old vaseline works fine for smothering.

I went out after the storm had passed to check all my girls were roosting. Wrold wasn't. 🙄

I went & grabbed her & put her up on a roost & suddenly noticed she has denuded herself of all her underneath feathers. As I peered closer I noticed a white blob under her wattle... :sick
Another tick! I couldn't leave her like that overnight so in she came & didn't she make a kerfuffle! She really doesn't like the cats! Squwark! Squwark! She was loud. She was noisy. She was voluble. Her head kept swinging round to keep Kirby in sight while she screamed @ him, @ me, @ the complete indignity of the whole affair ~ all while I was trying to slather her with black ointment & hold onto her long enough for it to work.

View attachment 2390143
And the worst of it ~ not 1 but 2 ticks embedded under her wattle: a paralysis tick & a bush tick. I always check to make sure I've got the head so when I could still see something I wielded my tweezers yet again ~ & again.
She is slathered in black ointment just in case I missed any bits & back on a roost! So offended she scrambled onto the top roost! Gosh how I hate ticks!​
1st, thanks for the spoiler. I did not look. :sick

I feel like you may need to check the entire flock over at this point. Yuck!

Black ointment is a drawing ointment. Its proper name is Ichthammol ointment. It will smother ticks but it will also draw out anything that breaks off, like the head. Good old vaseline works fine for smothering.
I did not know that - I have some in the cabinet for reasons I don't really remember - I could use it on me too presumably. I have a 'tick puller' that levers them out and reduces the head left behind issue but would never have thought of using the Ichthammol ointment. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom