Ribh's D'Coopage

Be happy that's how they behave, less chance of any of them sustaining an injury from being stepped on! I had to work with mine a bit as they were jumping and trying to get to the bowls that I carried their mash in...they can be very demanding!
Everyone is cautious of ne right now. Too much picking hens up to check them out I think. When I went out with the ham today I had to convince them I was not some evil being but rather was bringing them a snack.

When Scary got taken by the fox (RIP Scary) her sisters really didn't care very much. They were jittery about the fox for about 10 mins and then back to life as normal. I remember thinking 'so much for the sisterhood!'.
It was Scary's death that brought me here as I felt so guilty and found you all so supportive.
How long had they been with you? Were they a flock before you got them? I'm guessing they may not have known each other that well yet.

Hepzibah [L] has gone broody on me. Her sister, Soda, contributed her egg for Hepzibah to sit on.🙄 She had collected 3 when I last checked. They are ganging up on me but Hepzibah will have to wait. I will hoy her off the nest to eat & drink before I leave for more babysitting duties but this is getting beyond a joke. They are lucky I am not desperate for eggs.
View attachment 2418917
speechless!

Of 3 BRs only Hepzibah goes broody. The bantams are broody more often than not.
I’ve only had three broodies:
  1. Bagheera (black australorp) - broodiness was short lived and no intervention was required
  2. Cashew (buff orp) - incredible mama who exceeded all my expectations and satisfied my need to see a mama hen in action
  3. Little Mill - (Speckled Sussex) who was a very persistent broody and made herself weak, but ended up a bit of a disaster; I raised the chicks myself since she was growling and pecking at them

I’ve only had three broodies:
  1. Bagheera (black australorp) - broodiness was short lived and no intervention was required
  2. Cashew (buff orp) - incredible mama who exceeded all my expectations and satisfied my need to see a mama hen in action
  3. Little Mill - (Speckled Sussex) who was a very persistent broody and made herself weak, but ended up a bit of a disaster; I raised the chicks myself since she was growling and pecking at them
I have 2 Wyandotte bantams that are constantly broody, 1 Aracauna who went frequently [just lost her so that's 1 I don't have to worry about], a Frizzle [1st time ever for her] & 1 BR who spends her summers broody. It's not so many when counted like that but they go so often & so determinedly it seems like more!

I have 2 Wyandotte bantams that are constantly broody, 1 Aracauna who went frequently [just lost her so that's 1 I don't have to worry about], a Frizzle [1st time ever for her] & 1 BR who spends her summers broody. It's not so many when counted like that but they go so often & so determinedly it seems like more!
I’m sorry, Ribh. Who was the Aracauna?

Back
Top Bottom