Ribh's D'Coopage

The new birds are so pretty, and they are cute. It seems like they are responding well to being handled. You’ll have them sitting in your lap in no time!
lol I don't need or want lap chickens but I do need to be able to handle them when needed.

Taking @drstratton 's advice I took time this afternoon to handle several of my new girls.
Desdemona was first ~ & the calmest by far! There was a little thrumming through her body but she settled & chirped & chirruped.

View attachment 2437472
Ceres wasn't impressed @ all.

View attachment 2437473

An Olivia was just panicked.

View attachment 2437474

And this is why they have to be able to be handled. Little cuddle puddles all over the pen as the sun went down. I had to hoy everyone into the coop. I will open the door a bit later on as 1/2 the nutters headed straight back out. The coop is much safer than the run.

View attachment 2437475
Prettiest little puddles ever...:love

The circus happened in the big coop this morning. :rolleyes: I had blocked all the nesting boxes last night to discourage Alpia from getting back in one as soon as my back was turned. Alpia was the only one still in the coop when I went out, pacing frantically & bokking sadly. The next thing I knew Luna was dragging a screaming Alpia down the steps by the scruff of her neck. She knew it was Alpia's fault all the nesting boxes were closed off & she was making her views on the matter very plain indeed. I've opened them up again. Luna has an end one, Wrold has one & Alpia is hogging one. Ha'penny was waiting patiently though there was still a free one.

View attachment 2438013

Morrigu, who is such a feral chicken, has made herself a nest under the stairs & has been laying there for days. I sometimes find Aoife's egg there too. 🙄 Sounds like the flock has had enough of Alpia's broodiness too. :(
Those girls have such amazing personalities! Look at them giving you the eye...is she going to move me...I'm going to lay an egg...I'm not broody...I'm really not...:gig

Now it's chick grit. 🙄 I'm not sure I can get that on the island but it explains why they were pigging on the tub of sand I put in for dustbathing. I took it out. Guess it had better go back in.
If you are giving any food other than chick starter then they need grit. Our ground is very sandy, some of it corse...I have never purchased grit for any of the chickens we've had over the last 25 years!

This is why I try not to post much during the week. There's just too much to get through.
You are so considerate. @WhoDatChick was poking me today because I missed her addition of another cat. Thankfully Mrs BYBob drove us around today and I could catch up the 2 days I was behind on her's while we were between stores. Not all of us have our Christmas shopping already done. 😉

You take a day off around here and you miss something significant. :barnie

No trouble with the little ones coming downstairs this morning. In the end I had left the door closed as it was blowing a gale all night & threatening rain. I'm an early riser so they didn't have to wait too long to be let out but they were all up & looking for me. :D I sorted their food before popping the door & everyone was out quick smart. They are starting to learn the routine.

View attachment 2438037

I’m really behind but I wanted to come and meet your new babies. :love

Thank you for reposting my post without any comment. Was there something you wanted to say or were just reposting my greatness? 😁

See what happens when I post within the Quote marks? From ACM ;)
If you accidentally type inside the quote brackets, your post will appear within the post that you are replying to. If it's a longish post you won't see the reply unless you "Click to expand"

Now it's chick grit. 🙄 I'm not sure I can get that on the island but it explains why they were pigging on the tub of sand I put in for dustbathing. I took it out. Guess it had better go back in.
What about crushing up egg shells finely. That can be used as grit too can't it? Or is it too high in calcium for babies?

Back
Top Bottom