Ribh's D'Coopage

I think it must have been. :( She seems more comfortable today & she is being brilliant about taking medication! She's one of my oldest girls too so one of my more stable flock members. She seems to know I'm trying to help & is co~operating beautifully. :)
You cannot ask for more than that. :hugs

They're good. I'm just treating for coccidiosis as it's been so wet all summer. I did a full on worming recently too & I have Patricia on antibiotics for an infection. @Shadrach had suggested the wormer I was using wasn't working as it should so I have had words with my vet & we are hitting the flock hard hoping to get a number of niggly little things under control. I'm also putting a supplement in my broody's feed...😁. Her sister is scoffing the leftovers.
It's a lot but you seem to be on top on things right now. 👍

@BY Bob, @CrazyChookChookLady, @micstrachan ~ or anyone else with some experience of integrating younger pullets...

I am wanting to move my Littlies in with my bigger girls so thoughts & opinions on when would be the optimum time to do this. Do you think they are big enough now or should I wait a bit longer? And I still have them on chick starter. When do you think I should change them over to layer mash? The breeder said when they started laying but my POLs were already on Layer mash when I got them. I have no experience & am really clueless ~ plus worried about doing the wrong thing.
First, this is pretty easy. The chickens do all the work.

To start the food is the issue. You have to make a decision on that. Once you move them in with the bigs, everyone goes on the same food. How old are they now? Are they 18 weeks yet? You can certainly start them on Layer food at that age. The other option is to move the bigs to chick feed. There is no issue there as they will get extra protein, not really a problem. You will need to supplement calcium somehow but my guess is that you are already doing that.

Considerations after that are mainly associated with roosting. You have enough space that they can get away during the day. Before I take away baby roosting space, I make certain that they can successfully spend all day together. So keep increasing the time they spend together until it is all day in the same run. Once that is done successfully, you can take way their coop.

This is the most trying time. They will go back to their little coop to roost and cry because it is not there or they can't get in. It's heartbreaking. I put a light in the big coop so that they find their own way there. I do have to relocate them many times. It will take a few nights until they figure it out. It is stressful for a while but then it is over.

Last edited:
I used to weigh the chickens here on a regular basis, especially the broodies.
I was talking about it with the guy I know who keeps game fowl. I was concerned because Mini Minx had lost almost a quarter of her body weight since I last weighed her and she was sitting. She got up every day and did all the right things, ate like a horse.
My friend asked when did I weigh her. I told him the date. He said "no, no when did you weigh her." We have language problems needless to say. He speaks a very strange combination of Spanish and Morrocan and I speak Catalan and English.:rolleyes:
Eventually I came to understand what he was asking was at what point in her egg cycle had I weighed her. Well, now the penny dropped as they say and it didn't take much of a leap in intelligence to realise that if you weigh a laying hen immediately after she has laid her egg you get her true body weight. Onn the other hand, if you weigh her just before she lays an egg you get her body weight and the weight of the egg! Sitting hens won't be making eggs so any comparison unless the weight is taken just after egg laying is likely to cause alarm.
It's another one of those pearls of wisdom one doesn't see mentioned that experienced chicken keepers know about. Not quite sure what that says about some here on BYC.:hmm
So, weigh your hens straight after they've laid an egg. That will give you their true body weight.

Very roughly, between one third and one quarter of a hens food intake goes to make an egg. If a hen eats the same amount of food when she is not laying she should in theory put on weight. After all, she isn't rushing about burning off calories while she sits. So, if you measure the amount of feed a hen eats while she is laying and then measure the amount she eats while sitting you have a reasonable indication of whether she is eating enough. My game fowl friend weighs the poop. His hens are confined on their own, or with their rooster so this is easy.

The best sitters here, as in most feral and independent do a double eat. They get off their nests and head straight for the nearest food source. They eat first, then broody poop, then dust bath, poop a bit more, chat with their mates and forage.
I got told to leave feed down right until the hen gets back on the nest because Donk for example will go back to the feed point after foraging and fill up on the commercial feed. It's the second feed that seems to be the key here.
That is exactly what Sydney did. Off the nest, gorge herself, poo, dustbathe, eat, return to nest.

Now you've got to admit Fudge's fluffy butt will gives the big girls you lot have a run for their money. She's quite a big lass. Size wise I think she's next in line from Fat Bird.
P1220120.JPG

Just missed the shot but half a fluffly butt as pre paid tax.:D Hurry.
P1220123.JPG

I'm struggling with Cillins foot pad.:oops:
I got it right yesterday and the white core center was showing this morning. The day before I got it wrong again and the core scabbed over.:barnie
I can see that the idea will work, but placement and security of the pad is crucial.
I'm working on it. I had a look this evening and it looks like I got it right this morning.

Back
Top Bottom