Ribh's D'Coopage

I lost the smallest Vorwerk early this morning ~ just as I was thinking I had the flock beautifully stable! 🙄 . I had both her & Gloriana inside for observation after a week of heavy rain & storms. Vorwerks are supposed to be hardy but I swear I've had more trouble with these birds than any 2 other breeds!

Gloriana was in because she just seemed off. She's not been quite herself since the snake attack but all the human contact means she is now really easy to handle & she is eating & drinking well though her poos could be better.

I've been checking the girls every break in the weather but the Vorwerks have an awful tendency to lie about. Any other chicken this would be a cause for concern but not a Vorwerk. So very strange. However I found everyone huddled about my girl, something they don't normally do, so I grabbed her & brought her in. She was wet & cold ~ but no more than anyone else. Dried her off, dosed her up, she perked up & had something to eat & drink & I was hopeful. She was looking & acting much brighter. I put her in with Gloriana & moved them into the kitchen, which is considerably warmer than our bathroom but those cold early hours of the morning are when the soul tends to slip away. I heard her go & got up so Gloriana didn't have to be with her dead friend. I have no idea. :idunnoI think there might have been something wrong as she was always on the outer with every single other chicken ~ including her sisters~ & right @ the bottom of the pecking order. I'm sorry to lose her but not devastated. She had a good life here if shorter than it should have been. There were no obvious signs of illness or disease. It seems she just gave up the will to live. :confused:
So sorry to hear that.

I lost the smallest Vorwerk early this morning ~ just as I was thinking I had the flock beautifully stable! 🙄 . I had both her & Gloriana inside for observation after a week of heavy rain & storms. Vorwerks are supposed to be hardy but I swear I've had more trouble with these birds than any 2 other breeds!

Gloriana was in because she just seemed off. She's not been quite herself since the snake attack but all the human contact means she is now really easy to handle & she is eating & drinking well though her poos could be better.

I've been checking the girls every break in the weather but the Vorwerks have an awful tendency to lie about. Any other chicken this would be a cause for concern but not a Vorwerk. So very strange. However I found everyone huddled about my girl, something they don't normally do, so I grabbed her & brought her in. She was wet & cold ~ but no more than anyone else. Dried her off, dosed her up, she perked up & had something to eat & drink & I was hopeful. She was looking & acting much brighter. I put her in with Gloriana & moved them into the kitchen, which is considerably warmer than our bathroom but those cold early hours of the morning are when the soul tends to slip away. I heard her go & got up so Gloriana didn't have to be with her dead friend. I have no idea. :idunnoI think there might have been something wrong as she was always on the outer with every single other chicken ~ including her sisters~ & right @ the bottom of the pecking order. I'm sorry to lose her but not devastated. She had a good life here if shorter than it should have been. There were no obvious signs of illness or disease. It seems she just gave up the will to live. :confused:
:hugs:hugs

Titania was in a massive hurry to leave the coop this morning.​
View attachment 2646955

But not before she gifted us her very 1st egg.
So tiny!​

View attachment 2646957

People wait with great excitement for their hens to lay their 1st egg but when we're talking tiny bantams we're talking tiny eggs too. They're hardly worth waiting on. :lol: I was sorta hoping for another blue layer but it seems we have another buff layer. :( Oh well...
Titania's next to one of Beatha's. She doesn't lay a massive sized egg either but she is one of the few of mine still laying. Most everyone else is having a break. She's a dirty layer too. No idea how she gets so much muck on her eggs.:idunno
View attachment 2646959
Titania’s egg is beautiful! 🥰

They are almost song bird eggs. 😆
You must check out the tiny egg I got today!
4FC95534-7207-43BE-B519-512A141C57F8.jpeg

It’s even smaller than the last tiny egg I got!

I am sorry to hear this news. :hit
You know I love those Vorwerks.

I'm sorry to hear that Ribh. :hugs

So sorry Ribh. :hugsYou did well with her by the sound of it. I guess sometimes there is nothing you can do with "failure to thrive". 😔 At least she was safe and warm and with a friend up until the last. It's the best anyone could hope for.

Back
Top Bottom