Ribh's D'Coopage

I'm down to 17 now. I might add a few more next year or the year after! I'm getting plenty of eggs right now & everyone seems pretty happy!
I went under 10 for a while & found it quite distressing. I had this big empty coop & no~one to fill it. I think my girls are happier when there's more of them around too. They do sometimes squabble but they also form odd friendships. I think around 15 is optimum for us but I always seem to have that few more or less. I love seeing birds on all the rails @ roosting & the flux & flow of roosting arrangements. I'm lucky to have a big yard & the space to run a few more birds.

Happy Caturday (a day late).

It's too wet to take my eyeopener with the hens, so I hopped back in bed and Blossom thought it was such a good idea, she joined in.

IMG20210509074646.jpg

So weird. She still needs to grow her tail back & I haven't checked under her wings yet where a lot of her barring used to be. She's one bird I didn't get for her looks. I've always thought she looked more like a rooster than anything else but she's a Barred Rock & they are such good layers & super hardy I added her in. Her breeder thought her barring might come in with her 1st moult but in fact each moult has seen her whiter & whiter. Now I have this almost all white, brighter than bright chicken with a very large comb & wattles.
I once read speckled sussex get whiter with age too.

I went under 10 for a while & found it quite distressing. I had this big empty coop & no~one to fill it. I think my girls are happier when there's more of them around too. They do sometimes squabble but they also form odd friendships. I think around 15 is optimum for us but I always seem to have that few more or less. I love seeing birds on all the rails @ roosting & the flux & flow of roosting arrangements. I'm lucky to have a big yard & the space to run a few more birds.
15 is a nice number...I have 14 hens right now...the 3 roos take up a lot more space than my girls do! I have room for probably 24, but that's way more than I need!

Back
Top Bottom