Ribh's D'Coopage

It certainly didn't feel right to me, but it's something I know nothing about. I'm happy you gave me some reassurance.

I find that things concerning animals that uses terms like "break", "yield"...will need thinking about 🙂.
Yup, there is some pretty awful terminolgy used when it comes to chickens.

I just love is that Tsuri nonchalantly sitting there with her tail pointing to the sky! :lol:

I have noticed that Penny does get off when others get too insistent about needing the nest which is the favourite, of course! I wonder if she knows that if she lets them in, they will leave her an egg to nurture? 🤔

I may start encouraging her to take more daily breaks this weekend as it will have been three weeks.

I have two other Orpingtons who are both feeling the need to be broody too and one other Orpington who gets so mad about her hormonal mates and chases them around when they are acting weird. She never does this when they are their normal selves. High drama around here in the summer! :rolleyes:
I have noticed Peggy chases Mary when Mary is broody, but not Ivy. I'm hoping she'll stop doing that now she knows what it's like to have to sit all day.

I like Beatha. She's always a bit of an outsider, but a genuine contributor nonetheless.
Yes, so do I. You know, after the deed was done & it was too late to alter decisions, I read a lot of stuff about not mixing breeds & how frizzles get attacked & don't put bantams with standards & it's all a lot of hogwash in my book. I figure it all boils down to individual personalities. Look @ Olivia. Tiny & frizzled but with a big, big personality & she gets along with everyone. Mhari, same breed as Beatha, didn't like Beatha either but got along with everybody else. Shuri has taken a dislike to the white Japs. Who knows why. :idunno

There was a definite change when the tribe was relocated. It became much tighter & everyone grew closer. I figured, like people, in a world of strangness they clung to what was known & familiar & Beatha is a calm chook, like Luna. Losing Hepziba & Soda moved Beatha up the pecking order & she finally seems to have found her place in the scheme of things. She still wanders off on her own a lot but when she joins the tribe they are happy to see her & she hangs with the mature hens: Luna, Ha'penny, Aoife.

Last edited:
When the Japs get upset they bring their tails all the way forward. Amazing to watch. I've never seen anything like it. My broodies are almost sane @ present as our weather is cooling off. Unfortunately for you, you sound like your broodies are gearing up for a summer of sitting. 🤣
That tail really is amazing.

I don't know where this ridiculous breaking broody business comes from.
I have a suspicion that it has more to do with egg supply than the health of the hens.:rolleyes:
Not a day doesn't go by that I don't regret breaking Maleficent. I did not need to do that. 😪

Back
Top Bottom