Ribh's D'Coopage

My cats are having a lazy Caturday. Who am I kidding? They are lazy every day!

E434C65B-2817-4500-BAF2-B04E3EBCC535.jpeg
54167B20-72A8-479B-A026-DA5AAD260246.jpeg
F8FB80F9-39A7-4A59-8145-CAA3C9D775DC.jpeg

She's ready for her breakfast now.
I trust you chose the proper tea!

Why would he do this?
Yes, maybe playing.

DD1's cat used to make a mess with the water because he would whack the dish before he drank. Apparently cats don't see things well close up if they aren't moving. So, whack the dish, water moves, cat can see where the top of the water is. I bought a "fountain" dish and never had a problem again. He and the dish moved with DD1 to Virginia in September.

Have to remember to check the current dish more often, it doesn't hold as much water. For whatever reason, the other 2 cats don't have any problem with non moving water.

I trust you chose the proper tea!

Yes, maybe playing.

DD1's cat used to make a mess with the water because he would whack the dish before he drank. Apparently cats don't see things well close up if they aren't moving. So, whack the dish, water moves, cat can see where the top of the water is. I bought a "fountain" dish and never had a problem again. He and the dish moved with DD1 to Virginia in September.

Have to remember to check the current dish more often, it doesn't hold as much water. For whatever reason, the other 2 cats don't have any problem with non moving water.
Yes, I once had a cat that refused to drink from still water.
Some cats can also be peculiar about the bowl in which they drink, either the material (my male cat Grochatila prefers metal) or the form (he also prefers thin high bowl to flat low ones). If you haven't tried it yet it could be worth switching to a different type of bowl, before getting the fountain thing.

Not to switch subjects but Grochatila just ate a bat 🙄. Anyone knows if I should be worried since he's not vaccinated ?

Yes, I once had a cat that refused to drink from still water.
Some cats can also be peculiar about the bowl in which they drink, either the material (my male cat Grochatila prefers metal) or the form (he also prefers thin high bowl to flat low ones). If you haven't tried it yet it could be worth switching to a different type of bowl, before getting the fountain thing.

Not to switch subjects but Grochatila just ate a bat 🙄. Anyone knows if I should be worried since he's not vaccinated ?
I don't know a lot about it but I have had a couple of bat incidents and was told both the cats and I needed post exposure vaccine.
In one case I just found a dead bat on the floor so I had no idea what exposure the cats had. In another I woke up to it flying around the bedroom while the cats tried to catch it by leaping in the air.
The reason in that second one that we all got shots is that you can catch rabies from exposure to saliva or urine and bat's have very small very sharp teeth so you may never know if you have been bitten let alone if one spat (or peed) in your eye.
Anyway, I don't know if that was too conservative, but I took the advice I was given and we all got shots. The cats got one each and I had to have three.

I don't know a lot about it but I have had a couple of bat incidents and was told both the cats and I needed post exposure vaccine.
In one case I just found a dead bat on the floor so I had no idea what exposure the cats had. In another I woke up to it flying around the bedroom while the cats tried to catch it by leaping in the air.
The reason in that second one that we all got shots is that you can catch rabies from exposure to saliva or urine and bat's have very small very sharp teeth so you may never know if you have been bitten let alone if one spat (or peed) in your eye.
Anyway, I don't know if that was too conservative, but I took the advice I was given and we all got shots. The cats got one each and I had to have three.
OMG!!! :eek:

I enjoy watching bats catch insects on our property and my daughter and I put together a bat house for them, but I would not be a happy camper to wake up to a bat flying around my bedroom!! You sound so nonchalant about it!!!

Bat tax:
IMG_20221019_132051453_HDR.jpg

OMG!!! :eek:

I enjoy watching bats catch insects on our property and my daughter and I put together a bat house for them, but I would not be a happy camper to wake up to a bat flying around my bedroom!! You sound so nonchalant about it!!!

Bat tax:
View attachment 3299545
Do your bats use the bat house? I am thinking of getting one. I had to take down a diseased tree but we left the trunk about 25 feet high and I was thinking it would be a great place to mount a bat house.
Yeah - the poor little guy in the bedroom was exhausted flying around escaping the cats. Eventually he hung from the curtain rod and went to sleep - which I must say was quite cute.
I managed to get the cats locked out and I opened the upper part of all the windows and turned out the lights, shut the door and went to sleep on the sofa. It found its own way out.
The one that was found dead on the living room floor eventually tested negative for rabies, but the test takes too long to wait if you have been exposed so we got the shots anyway.
Bats are good at eating up mosquitoes - so I like having them around. I just don't really know how they got in the house.

Last edited:
My cat friends I have a behavior I need to try and understand. Enzo has taken to splashing all the water out of the cat dish onto the floor. Everytime we do it he splashes it everywhere. This is becoming a problem because there is no water left in the bowl for the other 2 to drink.

Why would he do this?
I honestly couldn’t tell you, both my cats drink from still water. They do get it all over the floor though.

I’m so glad Australia has strict quarantine laws and we are rabies-free! Our bats do carry the lyssavirus though, which apparently is similar.

Back
Top Bottom