Ribh's D'Coopage

Happy Caturday, whatcahall doing?
IMG_0835.jpeg

The test itself is easy. It's the identification of what you might see that can be the difficult part. What is junk, what is pollen, what is a parasite or egg. Those decisions are what make the test difficult. The good news is that coccidia are easy to identify.
I was given the link to a post that had pictures of fecal floats when I first joined BYC for a sick hen. Seeing those pictures I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do that kind of identification myself. You need to have a good eye for small details. I know I don't ; I can never spot the queen bee or the brood in my hives when it's obvious for my partner.

@Ribh , I hope you are all right ? I can't help but think no news from Sorbet doesn't mean good news🙁.

They get so much better along than I do with my brother !
IMG_20240127_082607.jpg

@Ribh , I hope you are all right ? I can't help but think no news from Sorbet doesn't mean good news🙁.
Hi @ManueB. Yes, I lost Sorbet. In the end she just gave up & once that happens there is nothing anyone can do. I will fight for a chicken who wants to live & is fighting to live but once they give up it is kindest to let them go. Sorbet was not unexpected though still sad.

I have, however, had a horrendous few weeks. I lost 3 chickens in 3 days. There was Sorbet. Then when I went to let the girls out I found Afrika dead under where she normally roosted. Her neck was broken. I have no idea...🤔 The next morning Titania was missing. She was just gone. No pile of feathers. No body. No stray bits. No smell... I held out hope for a few days as she has been broody for months & Titania was always who Portia kicked off the nest when she wanted to lay. I hoped she had simply moved nest to somewhere I just couldn't find no matter how many times I scoured the yard... but then this morning Ceres was dead in her nesting box & Tsuri is completely missing! To say I am devastated would be an understatement. Tsuri, Ceres & Chavi always brooded together. The only reason I still have Chavi is because I have been removing her each night & putting her in with Tootsie as I have been reluctant to put Tootsie in the coop when I don't know what is going on. Here they are! Tootsie is nearly as big as Chavi now & quite big enough to go in with the big girls but not happening just now. I am going to get another cage & everyone will have to share cages inside for the time being. I have no other options. The yard is secure but the temporary coop has gaps ~ not big enough for a dog; a small cat maybe, but most likely a snake though I haven't seen any ~ which doesn't say much.

The real downside of all this is Tootsie has bonded with me. If allowed, she would ride on my shoulder all day. If I put her outside in the pen she hops out when she's had enough & comes knocking @ the glass door to be let in.

Our weather has been miserable, terribly hot & muggy. Torrential afternoon storms are not unusual in a Brisbane summer but these have been so severe the drains have overflowed & flooded the house. 🙄

Lastly my divorce was granted over a month ago ~ but no~one bothered to inform me. The island house is under contract so I am looking down the barrel of another bigger ~ & more important~ move. I hate moving. I have had a sick dog, & as the dogs aren't mine that was super stressful. It has all left me feeling a bit of an emotional mess & feeling like a terrible chicken keeper.

20240128_203726.jpg

Here is most of what is left of my tribe.
The garden is burgeoning after all the rain.
They are all my bigger girls but I will not be getting any more chickens until I can get a proper set up.​

20240128_160841.jpg

Hi @ManueB. Yes, I lost Sorbet. In the end she just gave up & once that happens there is nothing anyone can do. I will fight for a chicken who wants to live & is fighting to live but once they give up it is kindest to let them go. Sorbet was not unexpected though still sad.

I have, however, had a horrendous few weeks. I lost 3 chickens in 3 days. There was Sorbet. Then when I went to let the girls out I found Afrika dead under where she normally roosted. Her neck was broken. I have no idea...🤔 The next morning Titania was missing. She was just gone. No pile of feathers. No body. No stray bits. No smell... I held out hope for a few days as she has been broody for months & Titania was always who Portia kicked off the nest when she wanted to lay. I hoped she had simply moved nest to somewhere I just couldn't find no matter how many times I scoured the yard... but then this morning Ceres was dead in her nesting box & Tsuri is completely missing! To say I am devastated would be an understatement. Tsuri, Ceres & Chavi always brooded together. The only reason I still have Chavi is because I have been removing her each night & putting her in with Tootsie as I have been reluctant to put Tootsie in the coop when I don't know what is going on. Here they are! Tootsie is nearly as big as Chavi now & quite big enough to go in with the big girls but not happening just now. I am going to get another cage & everyone will have to share cages inside for the time being. I have no other options. The yard is secure but the temporary coop has gaps ~ not big enough for a dog; a small cat maybe, but most likely a snake though I haven't seen any ~ which doesn't say much.

The real downside of all this is Tootsie has bonded with me. If allowed, she would ride on my shoulder all day. If I put her outside in the pen she hops out when she's had enough & comes knocking @ the glass door to be let in.

Our weather has been miserable, terribly hot & muggy. Torrential afternoon storms are not unusual in a Brisbane summer but these have been so severe the drains have overflowed & flooded the house. 🙄

Lastly my divorce was granted over a month ago ~ but no~one bothered to inform me. The island house is under contract so I am looking down the barrel of another bigger ~ & more important~ move. I hate moving. I have had a sick dog, & as the dogs aren't mine that was super stressful. It has all left me feeling a bit of an emotional mess & feeling like a terrible chicken keeper.

View attachment 3735957
Here is most of what is left of my tribe.
The garden is burgeoning after all the rain.
They are all my bigger girls but I will not be getting any more chickens until I can get a proper set up.​

View attachment 3735959
Oh dear Lord @Ribh.
How totally devastating.
I don't really have the right words, but you do know that you are absolutely not a terrible chicken keeper.
:hugs :hugs:hugs

Your whole situation sounds incredibly stressful - but I believe you are a very strong lady and will get through it. And I suppose this development as well as the stress of packing up also brings the promise of a new beginning on your own terms? Forgive me if that is naive, but it is what I hope for you.

Back
Top Bottom