Rice Cakes for Chickens?

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I was cleaning out my late mother's pantry and found some unsalted rice cakes. I hate to throw them away, but I won't eat them, and I wondered if I could crumble them up and give them to my chickens as a snack? I don't usually give them anything processed like that, but they don't have any salt or sugar in them, so I wasn't sure.

Rice cakes are treat, "enrichment" (meaning entertainment, not nutrition).

Rice itself is low protein, nearly no fiber, nearly no fat. Cooking them till they puff doesn't improve matters much.

If the label says "enriched", their may be some vitamins of value. In small quantity, its not going to hurt your chickens, but I'd more likely throw them away.

Thanks. Yes, that's why I said snack. I didn't think they would add any nutritional value, but I do like to give them things on days they don't free range to keep them from getting bored, and I've managed to keep them super healthy for 6+ years. Really just wasn't sure if the puffy texture of the rice cakes would be an issue.

Should be fine if you space it out, like crumble a quarter of a rice cake a day (for a small flock) or more, if you have more birds.

My in-laws left me with some sort of organic multigrain cereal that honestly looked more like scratch than human food, so I fed that to my birds, but it took over a month to get through what was left in the box.

My in-laws left me with some sort of organic multigrain cereal that honestly looked more like scratch than human food, so I fed that to my birds, but it took over a month to get through what was left in the box.
Not sure if that's "lucky birds" or "lucky you". I've had some spectacular multigrain cereal. and some really horrific, makes Grape Nuts seem good, options.

You don't need to be so strict with rationing cupboard and refridge culls. Think of a chickens diet like you would your own. There is nothing wrong with a day of low protein/nutrition now and then. It's about your intake for a week not per meal.

I allow birds enough time in morning to fill up on normal feed. Whatever is provided for culls should not be more than they can finish long before coop in. They'll fill up crop with chicken feed before bed. That's basically how I handle a given food culling day. Big days of random culls like that are maybe once a week. Some garden culls and bread cues or if a diner plate needs to be scraped off of course goes to them whenever they occur. Really nothing to worry about. Less than 10% of their weekly intake is not chicken feed. Whether it be meat, noodles, soft tomato or stale potato chips.

Not sure if that's "lucky birds" or "lucky you". I've had some spectacular multigrain cereal. and some really horrific, makes Grape Nuts seem good, options.
I actually like Grape Nuts, but my mom wouldn't let me eat it as a kid because she thought they'd crack my teeth!

This cereal tasted like... well, cardboard. Even my in-laws were quick to point out it tasted more like something you'd feed birds lol. The chickens were excited about it at least.

I actually like Grape Nuts, but my mom wouldn't let me eat it as a kid because she thought they'd crack my teeth!

This cereal tasted like... well, cardboard. Even my in-laws were quick to point out it tasted more like something you'd feed birds lol. The chickens were excited about it at least.
I won't mention your like of Grape Nuts if you don't mention that I used to eat shredded wheat - made with tea and honey.

Glad your birds liked it at least.

I actually LIKE grape nuts! 😂😂

See, I’m not the only one!

Y'all are just making me want Grape Nuts now. lol.

I'm not ashamed to admit that my chickens get more "snacks" than what I'm sure some people would find acceptable some days (not necessarily processed food but veggies, berries, nuts, grains, etc.). I've read a lot on the topic, and I've experimented a lot, and I haven't lost one to any sort of health issue in six-plus years. My vet literally said to me once, "I don't know what you feed your chickens, but they're the healthiest ones I've ever seen." I've found that they are healthiest when they're given a variety of foods.

I just hate to throw food away and was trying to think of something to do with the rice cakes. It'd be a one-time thing for sure.

Back
Top Bottom