RIP Cesear

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
Had to put down my favorite roo last night. :hit

This poor young fella had a rough life. Back in the spring, when they were about 10 weeks old, I moved him and his siblings outside to a temporary coop. I thought they would be safe but I was wrong. They were attacked by an unknown predator in the middle of the night. I'm guessing a feral cat, but I don't really know for sure. Poor Cesear was gravely injured through several bites to the head and neck. I found him the next morning and spent weeks nursing him back to health. From that injury, he had several recurring infections around his ear lobes but by late summer he seemed to be turning a corner. He was evening trying to breed my hens. However, his roo siblings would often run him off as he was seen as the outcast by the group. Therefore he mostly adopted us "people" as his flock. He would hang around us constantly if we were outside, and if you managed to catch him he would snuggle in your lap and coo softly.

About 4 days ago, I saw him roosting in the goat house. Thought that was weird but figured he just wanted to be away from the other roosters because they chase him. The next day, I realized he was hiding in the chicken coop, again...away from everyone. While I didn't notice any physical injury (such as blood or missing feathers), something just struck me that he was unwell so I gently picked him up and took him up to the house and put him a crate where I could watch him. Gave him food and water. After 3 days, he refused to eat or drink anything. I grew increasingly worried. Tried to check him over several times but didn't find any injuries.

Then last night, we finally figured out what we think was wrong with him. I think he had a broken jaw. His bottom beak was suddenly slightly askew. He had also wasted away a LOT and lost most of his body weight. I'm guessing he probably ran underneath one of the horses or goats out in the pasture to get away from one of the other roosters and got kicked or stepped on. My poor, poor boy.... :hit I had my husband put him down because he seemed to be really suffering and the prognosis wasn't good.

Have you ever tried so hard to save one of your birds, and THINK you succeeded, only to have fate deal you a cruel hand??? :(

Oh, poor thing!

I really know what it's like, I had THE BEST flock with grandma hens, laying pullets, mummy hen, daddy roo + 4 chicks.
Came home from the beach one day and a fox had killed all except 2 chicks who no longer had a mummy!

It is so hard to watch a chicken suffer, I think you did the right thing.

Rest In Peace.

Back
Top Bottom