Ripped off claw nail - how to stop the bleeding???

Cornstarch or quickstop (for dogs nails). In my experience keeping them from walking around until the blood clots. They can break it back open for a couple of days. I cut my roosters toe with clippers pretty good (worse than yours). I ended up keeping him penned in a small area during the day. It broke open for about 4 days. I tried bandaging the toe...was a stupid choice. Eventually I just let it be and it healed up nicely on its own. Best wishes
It's gonna be pretty frigid here for the next day or so, so Gertie won't be doing any free ranging. Do you think it would be beneficial to keep her separated (in the brooder where there's not a ton of room to walk and it's filled with soft pine bedding, give her toe time to heal) from her sisters until Friday or Saturday, maybe? Or, preferably, put her back with the flock when the bleeding has completely subsided?Gertie is one of the most active of the girls and the first one out of the coop and we are expecting the temps to really warm up this weekend, which means she'll be out and about, scratching no doubt. That makes me nervous that she'll tear it open again.

Sorry you lost your Wellie.
The black is almost certainly just dried blood. I don't think that is much blood on the shavings.... there were splodges of it all over my coop and running down the side if the roost bar and dripping onto the floor below.
I'm not sure if the cold will inhibit infection or increase the risk. In very cold weather I would expect the blood flow to be reduced and this could perhaps increase the risk of necrosis but probably too cold for bacteria to thrive, particularly in remote digit like a toe. I might be inclined to clean it up with diluted Hibiscrub (Chlorohexidine) or Betadine since you already have her caught and contained, blot it dry and coat it in a thick greasy wound salve like bag balm or pink salve but not try to bandage it. Just leave it to heal and put her back with the others but keep a close eye on it over the coming days.

If it is sore, which I would expect, that should discourage her from scratching with it much, so she may use the other leg but mine was a flighty leghorn in the middle of summer, scratching through my horse manure heaps and paddocks and never had a problem and I didn't attempt to stop her activity. I'm a big fan of animals using an injured limb to increase blood flow and help the healing process. Stagnant blood leads to necrosis.

Sorry you lost your Wellie.
The black is almost certainly just dried blood. I don't think that is much blood on the shavings.... there were splodges of it all over my coop and running down the side if the roost bar and dripping onto the floor below.
I'm not sure if the cold will inhibit infection or increase the risk. In very cold weather I would expect the blood flow to be reduced and this could perhaps increase the risk of necrosis but probably too cold for bacteria to thrive, particularly in remote digit like a toe. I might be inclined to clean it up with diluted Hibiscrub (Chlorohexidine) or Betadine since you already have her caught and contained, blot it dry and coat it in a thick greasy wound salve like bag balm or pink salve but not try to bandage it. Just leave it to heal and put her back with the others but keep a close eye on it over the coming days.

Thank you for the condolences. Chipper was beautiful and friendly, so sad her life was cut short.

I have both Betadine and Bag Balm here at the house. I'll do as you suggested here in a few. I'm glad Gertie lets me work on her without a fuss; if this had been my Ancona hen, I would need hubby's help since Nanny the Ancona HATES to be touched, although she is one of my most inquisitive and friendly hens. Thank you once again for your expertise! :D

Agreed... I think it will be fine and you’ll probably want to get her back in the coop with her friends as soon as you can. Clean and Dry I would use the blu kote on it as well to discourage the others from pecking at the red, make sure the styptic powder, blood stop, or cornstarch gets right into the end of the nail... the bleeding is coming from the quick inside the nail most likely with how close to the toe it is broken.

Here are some picks from when my girl broke hers in a similar spot
06C122AC-1F70-4A0A-8560-7F8B289E63B2.jpeg
4F5F121E-0E69-4F29-A839-CEDD84A8EFDC.jpeg
66592D4D-9020-46AB-A95A-3DECF1E5E1D5.jpeg

It takes a bit to get the bleeding stopped, don’t fuss with it too much, but make sure to try and pack the end of the nail. (I only had cornstarch on hand, I’m still looking for my styptic powder!)

This was over about 4 days from first breaking it to the last pic.

Good day! I did a quick check on Gertie a little while ago (hubby's car is also in the garage with her and he had to leave for work) and she's doing well so far, although she was less than thrilled that she was woken up, so i didnt get a real good look at her toe, but no blood was seen either. Yay! :ya I opted to keep her separated for the night, just in case. I cleaned and then packed Gertie's toe well with the septic powder before I put her to roost for the night and will repeat when the sun is up. I'm hoping to return her to her sisters today if all goes well.:fl I know these types of injuries can reoccur very easily.

Back
Top Bottom