Ripped Skin

one more: Epsom salt is a naturally occurring mineral compound called magnesium sulfate. ... For a chicken, an Epsom salt bath helps her relax the same way it helps us. If she's found to be egg-bound, a warm soak will ease her muscles and encourage the egg to slide out.

While some health care providers may recommend a warm bath with Epsom salt for conditions such as sore muscles or to relieve psoriasis, soaking opens wounds in the magnesium sulfate compound may be painful and could irritate an open wound.

It's good to soak egg bound hens in it but not so much for an open wound.
Thank you for telling me that.I had know clue.someone told me that on here.I now recommend just keeping the wound clean

Thank you for telling me that.I had know clue.someone told me that on here.I now recommend just keeping the wound clean
You are very welcome!
Keep reading any and everything!
You'll learn lots here on BYC!

While some health care providers may recommend a warm bath with Epsom salt for conditions such as sore muscles or to relieve psoriasis, soaking opens wounds in the magnesium sulfate compound may be painful and could irritate an open wound.

It's good to soak egg bound hens in it but not so much for an open wound.

Yes, you're right. And I forgot to mention she did say not to use epsom salt either, would irritate healing.

I just don't understand how the skin will heal over this empty area. She said this was where he "surgery" came in handy. It keeps the edges from dying back; makes them continue to grow. I felt very bad walking out not getting her services but I just can't spend 600 minimum for the vet bill. Glad she was upfront about costs.

Sweet Pea is alert and eating normally this morning and wants to get out of the crate she slept in last night. Will let her out shortly. Won't allow the rooster near any hen ever again. He is mean and rough. Wish I had done this months ago.

Can anyone explain what I will see as the wound heals? All I see is chicken breast meat on the surface. A very large open skinless area. The 'meat' is kinda dark, but that could be because she is a totally black hen. Will a scab form on top of the meat that turns into skin? Or will 'skin' only come from the edges? or both? I will take pictures throughout the experience. Hopefully the outcome will be good and it can be helpful to someone else.

Last edited:
P6280455.jpg

I took a needle and piece of dental floss and put one stitch in to hold up the flap of skin. It has loosened a bit though. Isn't this terrible!!?? I don't know how this is ever going to heal. :(

Don't mess with her too much...it will heal. Just be patient.
Is she still eating and drinking well?

Back
Top Bottom